Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dermot

Default Opening Word....

Is there a way to allocate a keyboard shortcut to open word?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Yes, but you may have to create your own desktop shortcut since, if you have
a recent version of Word, you will not be able to modify the desktop
shortcut (if any) that it will have created.

1. Right-click on the desktop shortcut and choose Properties. On the
Shortcut tab, see if the "Shortcut key" box is enabled or disabled.

2. If it is disabled, create a new shortcut by searching for Winword.exe,
right-clicking, selecting Create Shortcut, and dragging the shortcut to the
desktop.

3. If/when it is enabled, enter your desired keyboard shortcut (I've been
using Ctrl+Shift+W for years).

"Dermot" wrote in message
news
Is there a way to allocate a keyboard shortcut to open word?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dermot

Thanks Suzanne
That worked great.
I found that when I was entering the keyboard shortcut, when I pressed the
CTRL key the "CTRL +" text was automatically entered and I entered the "W" as
you suggested. I couldn't find this explained anywhere thanks again.

Would you be able to have a look at my other posting.....Carol porvided me
with a great link but I can't find a solution to my question there.
It's posted here....
Word 2003 Templates Dialogue box...advise... in word.docmanagement

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Yes, but you may have to create your own desktop shortcut since, if you have
a recent version of Word, you will not be able to modify the desktop
shortcut (if any) that it will have created.

1. Right-click on the desktop shortcut and choose Properties. On the
Shortcut tab, see if the "Shortcut key" box is enabled or disabled.

2. If it is disabled, create a new shortcut by searching for Winword.exe,
right-clicking, selecting Create Shortcut, and dragging the shortcut to the
desktop.

3. If/when it is enabled, enter your desired keyboard shortcut (I've been
using Ctrl+Shift+W for years).

"Dermot" wrote in message
news
Is there a way to allocate a keyboard shortcut to open word?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Keep in mind that whatever shortcut key you assign to a desktop shortcut
will supersede that shortcut key in any application. In Word, Ctrl+W is
assigned to DocClose, which I didn't know (I've certainly never used it), so
it's probably a better choice (at least from the Word standpoint) than
Ctrl+Shift+W, which is by default assigned to Word Underline, but since I
never use that feature, either, I don't miss it. If it turns out that Ctrl+W
does something vital in some other application, you may need to rethink it.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Yes, but you may have to create your own desktop shortcut since, if you

have
a recent version of Word, you will not be able to modify the desktop
shortcut (if any) that it will have created.

1. Right-click on the desktop shortcut and choose Properties. On the
Shortcut tab, see if the "Shortcut key" box is enabled or disabled.

2. If it is disabled, create a new shortcut by searching for

Winword.exe,
right-clicking, selecting Create Shortcut, and dragging the shortcut to

the
desktop.

3. If/when it is enabled, enter your desired keyboard shortcut (I've

been
using Ctrl+Shift+W for years).

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Dermot" wrote in message
news
Is there a way to allocate a keyboard shortcut to open word?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dermot

Thanks again for the reply Suzanne
I think I will stick with CTRL + W as you suggested.....I haven't much
knowledge of the keyboard shortcuts and you have been using it for much
longer than I so it sounds good to me. You have certainly cleared up my
questions here and in my other posts.
Best wishes
Dermot

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Yes, but you may have to create your own desktop shortcut since, if you

have
a recent version of Word, you will not be able to modify the desktop
shortcut (if any) that it will have created.

1. Right-click on the desktop shortcut and choose Properties. On the
Shortcut tab, see if the "Shortcut key" box is enabled or disabled.

2. If it is disabled, create a new shortcut by searching for

Winword.exe,
right-clicking, selecting Create Shortcut, and dragging the shortcut to

the
desktop.

3. If/when it is enabled, enter your desired keyboard shortcut (I've

been
using Ctrl+Shift+W for years).

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Dermot" wrote in message
news Is there a way to allocate a keyboard shortcut to open word?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Carol

Hello Dermot:

Sorry I coudn't get back to you in time to answer your questions. If you
want to know what the different key assignments do in Word you can print out
a list of them. File | Print | Print What | Key Assignment. I hope this has
been helpful to you!
--
Carol A. Bratt, MCP

"Dermot" wrote in message
news Is there a way to allocate a keyboard shortcut to open word?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dermot

Hi Carol
I appreciate all the help I get form everyone.
Thanks for the advise about printing of the short cuts.
Best wishes
Dermot