Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
cjobes

Default Dot file issue

We have a client that uses a template file company.dot that is distributed
to every computer into a special folder called OfficeTemplates. In the
Option/file location the workgroup template location points to this folder.

When the user goes to manage "addons" it's there but the checkmark isn't
selected. As soon as the user checks it, it works as expected. When the user
closes Word and opens it again, the checkmark is gone.

Is there any way to modify the registry so it would always be selected? The
client is using Office2003.

Thanks for your help,

Claus

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

It's not the workgroup templates folder that this file should be in but the
Word startup folder. Workgroup templates are for shared document templates.
As the template appears to be distributed to each computer it would simply
be a question of putting it in the correct folder. Or you could point each
user to the same startup folder.

cjobes wrote:
We have a client that uses a template file company.dot that is
distributed to every computer into a special folder called
OfficeTemplates. In the Option/file location the workgroup template
location points to this folder.
When the user goes to manage "addons" it's there but the checkmark
isn't selected. As soon as the user checks it, it works as expected.
When the user closes Word and opens it again, the checkmark is gone.

Is there any way to modify the registry so it would always be
selected? The client is using Office2003.

Thanks for your help,

Claus

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
cjobes

Graham,

Thanks for the reply. The startup folder points to a shared drive where all
the documents are. What I am trying to achieve is that the template file is
automatically selected so that users don't have to go to the "Templates and
Add-ins" and place the checkmark everytime they open Word. There are several
others that are automatically selected. So my guess is that I would be able
to edit the registry somewhere.

Claus

cjobes wrote:
We have a client that uses a template file company.dot that is
distributed to every computer into a special folder called
OfficeTemplates. In the Option/file location the workgroup template
location points to this folder.
When the user goes to manage "addons" it's there but the checkmark
isn't selected. As soon as the user checks it, it works as expected.
When the user closes Word and opens it again, the checkmark is gone.

Is there any way to modify the registry so it would always be
selected? The client is using Office2003.

Thanks for your help,

Claus

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

Any template in the startup folder will be loaded automatically when Word
starts.
Tools options file locations startup.
This is not a registry issue but a folder issue.

cjobes wrote:
We have a client that uses a template file company.dot that is
distributed to every computer into a special folder called
OfficeTemplates. In the Option/file location the workgroup template
location points to this folder.
When the user goes to manage "addons" it's there but the checkmark
isn't selected. As soon as the user checks it, it works as expected.
When the user closes Word and opens it again, the checkmark is gone.

Is there any way to modify the registry so it would always be
selected? The client is using Office2003.

Thanks for your help,

Claus

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
cjobes

Thanks again Graham,

This will pose an issue as the startup folder is a shared folder on the
network and that DOT file is local. I will try a few things and see what I
can come up with.

cjobes wrote:
We have a client that uses a template file company.dot that is
distributed to every computer into a special folder called
OfficeTemplates. In the Option/file location the workgroup template
location points to this folder.
When the user goes to manage "addons" it's there but the checkmark
isn't selected. As soon as the user checks it, it works as expected.
When the user closes Word and opens it again, the checkmark is gone.

Is there any way to modify the registry so it would always be
selected? The client is using Office2003.

Thanks for your help,

Claus

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

There are two startup folders one for Word the other for Office - the other
is fixed (and local) and will be at
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\STARTUP if that helps.

cjobes wrote:
We have a client that uses a template file company.dot that is
distributed to every computer into a special folder called
OfficeTemplates. In the Option/file location the workgroup
template location points to this folder.
When the user goes to manage "addons" it's there but the checkmark
isn't selected. As soon as the user checks it, it works as
expected. When the user closes Word and opens it again, the
checkmark is gone. Is there any way to modify the registry so it would
always be
selected? The client is using Office2003.

Thanks for your help,

Claus

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
cjobes

Thanks Graham,

I just tested it with the local folder and it works fine. Now I'm faced with
another issue. Some users are still using Office10, the others are using
Office11. The distribution script used to copy the file to each computer
into the same DIR (c:\officeTemplates). The only way I can see a solution is
to write 2 separate scripts - one for the Office10 users and the other one
for the Office11 users. If you know of a better solution I would appreciate
if you could point me into the right direction.

Thanks,

cjobes wrote:
We have a client that uses a template file company.dot that is
distributed to every computer into a special folder called
OfficeTemplates. In the Option/file location the workgroup
template location points to this folder.
When the user goes to manage "addons" it's there but the checkmark
isn't selected. As soon as the user checks it, it works as
expected. When the user closes Word and opens it again, the
checkmark is gone. Is there any way to modify the registry so it
would always be
selected? The client is using Office2003.

Thanks for your help,

Claus

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

You could create both folders on all machines and copy the file into each.
If the Word version is not present then the folder will be redundant.
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\STARTUP
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE10\STARTUP
Alternatively test for the above folders in your script and insert the file
in the one that is present. However, I seem to recall that an upgrade may
result in both folders being present (easy to check if you have access to
the hardware) so then the first suggestion would be preferrable.

cjobes wrote:
We have a client that uses a template file company.dot that is
distributed to every computer into a special folder called
OfficeTemplates. In the Option/file location the workgroup
template location points to this folder.
When the user goes to manage "addons" it's there but the
checkmark isn't selected. As soon as the user checks it, it
works as expected. When the user closes Word and opens it
again, the checkmark is gone. Is there any way to modify the
registry so it would always be
selected? The client is using Office2003.

Thanks for your help,

Claus

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
cjobes

thanks,

I will find a way to deal with it. The main problem is solved.

cjobes wrote:
We have a client that uses a template file company.dot that is
distributed to every computer into a special folder called
OfficeTemplates. In the Option/file location the workgroup
template location points to this folder.
When the user goes to manage "addons" it's there but the
checkmark isn't selected. As soon as the user checks it, it
works as expected. When the user closes Word and opens it
again, the checkmark is gone. Is there any way to modify the
registry so it would always be
selected? The client is using Office2003.

Thanks for your help,

Claus

merge instructions from text file Steve Mailmerge 8 November 26th 05 03:31 AM
How do I prevent Word from locking the file? Scott Bass New Users 0 October 5th 05 05:20 PM
File - Open - Lookin - FTP location issue Sreekanth Microsoft Word Help 0 October 4th 05 01:32 AM
open file talbert Microsoft Word Help 1 May 3rd 05 03:14 PM
File missing when loading by association Bad Horsey New Users 0 December 2nd 04 04:53 PM