Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Orchard Bill Orchard Bill is offline

Default How do I eliminate warning about ~$ZWDAddin upon starting Word

Whenever I start Word, directly or with Outlook, I get a message titled
File Conversion -~$ZWDAddin

select the encoding that makes your document readable.

i have no idea how to eliminate this recurring message.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It appears you have some sort of an add-in (well, duh, JoAnn!). I'm going to
assume that this just started so what did you change/download lately?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Orchard Bill" Orchard wrote in message
Whenever I start Word, directly or with Outlook, I get a message titled
File Conversion -~$ZWDAddin

select the encoding that makes your document readable.

i have no idea how to eliminate this recurring message.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Orchard Bill Orchard Bill is offline

No conscious download, although the strange symbols that appear with the
message have my name included when I select the 'correct' decoding language
from the drop down list.

"JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote:

It appears you have some sort of an add-in (well, duh, JoAnn!). I'm going to
assume that this just started so what did you change/download lately?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Orchard Bill" Orchard wrote in message
Whenever I start Word, directly or with Outlook, I get a message titled
File Conversion -~$ZWDAddin

select the encoding that makes your document readable.

i have no idea how to eliminate this recurring message.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I did a quick Google and found your anwer (always Google first). Apparently
you have a temp file named ~$ZWDAddin. You need to find that file and delete
it. It may be a hidden file so you're going to have some digging to do. The
biggest clue as to where it is is in the "The addin template is not valid
(C:\...STARTUP\~$ZWDAddin.dot)." message that you are probably getting.
Follow the path, delete that file, restart Word.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote:

It appears you have some sort of an add-in (well, duh, JoAnn!). I'm going
assume that this just started so what did you change/download lately?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Orchard Bill" Orchard wrote in message
Whenever I start Word, directly or with Outlook, I get a message titled
File Conversion -~$ZWDAddin

select the encoding that makes your document readable.

i have no idea how to eliminate this recurring message.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You have deleted the DataViz "Documents to Go" (I think it's called) add-in
for Word and left behind the "owner file" that was created when it was
opened. As JoAnn says, you need to close Word, navigate to the path where
the temp file is stored (you may find it listed in Tools | Templates and
Add-ins) and delete the file, then restart Word.

"Orchard Bill" Orchard wrote in message
Whenever I start Word, directly or with Outlook, I get a message titled
File Conversion -~$ZWDAddin

select the encoding that makes your document readable.

i have no idea how to eliminate this recurring message.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cardlaw Cardlaw is offline

It may also be related to a Documents to Go Add-on from Dataviz.
Look for a global template with ZWDAddin in the name.

--
Cardlaw
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Orchard Bill Orchard Bill is offline

Thanks to all three responders. When I was able to find and delete
~$ZWDAddin.dot, the problem was resolved. It also seems that I can still use
'Documents to go' with my Treo 650.
You were great, thank you!