Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rita Rita is offline

Default Word Document

I accidently saved something else over my original document and lost my
original document. Is there any way to go back and get my original document?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Opinicus Opinicus is offline

"Rita" wrote

I accidently saved something else over my original document and lost my
original document. Is there any way to go back and get my original
document?

Look for a file with a name like {originaldocumentname}.bak. Rename it to
something like "saved.doc". If you haven't done a lot of mucking around
since saving something over the original document, this *might* be a copy of
the original document. If you're lucky, that is.

If you're not then the original is gone forever.

--
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you've closed the file or don't have your system set up to automatically
create backups, you're out of luck.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Rita" wrote in message
I accidently saved something else over my original document and lost my
original document. Is there any way to go back and get my original
document?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rita Rita is offline

Thank you very much, Bob. It was lost, but I had emailed it before I did that
to my sister and she still had it. I will know what to do first thing next
time though. I appreciate your response.

"Opinicus" wrote:

"Rita" wrote

I accidently saved something else over my original document and lost my
original document. Is there any way to go back and get my original
document?

Look for a file with a name like {originaldocumentname}.bak. Rename it to
something like "saved.doc". If you haven't done a lot of mucking around
since saving something over the original document, this *might* be a copy of
the original document. If you're lucky, that is.

If you're not then the original is gone forever.

--
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

(I've had to pull a file or two out of my Sent items in the past too.
Shhhhhhh.)

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If you save your sent mails, you had it too, as an attachment to your
saved
message. You could have resaved it from that.

so
all may benefit.

"Rita" wrote in message
Thank you very much, Bob. It was lost, but I had emailed it before I
did

that
to my sister and she still had it. I will know what to do first thing
next
time though. I appreciate your response.

"Opinicus" wrote:

"Rita" wrote

I accidently saved something else over my original document and lost
my
original document. Is there any way to go back and get my original
document?

Look for a file with a name like {originaldocumentname}.bak. Rename
it

something like "saved.doc". If you haven't done a lot of mucking
around
since saving something over the original document, this *might* be a

copy of
the original document. If you're lucky, that is.

If you're not then the original is gone forever.

--
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Word doesn't have a resident function to automatically create backups. It
only creates a backup of the previously saved version - but see
http://www.gmayor.com/automatically_backup.htm

"Rita" wrote in message
I accidently saved something else over my original document and
lost my original document. Is there any way to go back and get my
original document?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Tools - Options - Save, Always Create Backup Copy (file will be named Backup
of [original file name].wbk).

This will back up only the previously-saved version each time you save the
file. So, it's possible to quickly exterminate your backup copy.

In Word 2003 and earlier (don't remember how far back), you can also use
File - Versions to keep multiple versions of a document. This provides a
little better protection, but you'll need to use a different method when you
move to Word 2007 since the versions feature isn't in Word 2007
(alternatives include manually doing it or using a SharePoint server
solution).

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com