Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Danker Schaareman Danker Schaareman is offline

Default Templates and formating

This is the problem: I use templates (other than the normal.dot) for a
variety of purposes. An exaple: I ave a style named A1 3+3", meaning that it
is a para style based on normal style, the difference being that paragraphs
have 3pt above and 3 pt below, paragraph is justified, etc. As I like
shortcuts using the keyboard I assigned "Alt A 1" to this style. That works
fine over the oard. BUT sometimes, looking at the styles of the template, I
notice tha a new style "emerged" called "A1 3+3 Char" or even "A1 3+3 Char
Char" The characteristics of these differ from the "A1 3+3" style I created.
Sometimes I also se a style called "Char" that cannot even be deleted. If I
delete the "A1 3=3 Char" style (because I dont want it), the origibnal style
"A1 3+3" is also deleted, thus setting all A1 3+3 paras back to Normal style.
The "char" styles usually have "default para font + ...." whereas the
original one has "normal plus the features of the A1 3+3 style. These "char"
styles come unwanted and screw up formatting of a document. They also seem to
defy keyboard commands: if the style box shows "Char" and I press Alt A 1, no
reaction. What to do to get rid of this nuisance. Another perhaps related
issue is this: I have a style that formats headers and footers. The style is
called HF with features arial narrow 8 pt, justified, spacing single etc.
Opening a document that uses this style sometimes shows the headers in vold
and italics, and applying the jeader style which still gas the correct
settings doesn't alter it back to the assigned style. Has anyone any ideas
about this, what causes it, ad how to get rid of it?

Thanks

Danker
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Danker

Danker Schaareman wrote:
[..] BUT sometimes, looking at the styles of the template, I
notice tha a new style "emerged" called "A1 3+3 Char" or even "A1 3+3 Char
Char"

The "... Char Char" style bug is a combination of a document that has
been handled in Word 2002, "Keep track of formatting" beeing active and
a paragraph style that has been assigned to a selection which is not
either empty (designating the corresponding paragraph) or consists of
whole paragraphs.

A lot has been written, particularly in

microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

about this beast (you can search with groups.google.com, for instance).

Also, Cindy Meister has a tip on it in her site at

http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindy...p.htm#CharStyl

HTH
Robert
--