Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Old Beta Tester

Default Doc properties - Word & Excel 2007 Beta

Just to see if anyone noticed the same problem:

Going into the "File" icon (upper left hand side) drop down menu in Word or
Excel and selecting "Finish" then "Properties from the "Finish" sub-menu; the
"properties" window that appears above your document window is extremely slow
to appear and work in. Almost impossible. Selecting advanced from the "
properties" drop down menu however brings up the old standard properties
dialogue box which works correctly like it always did.

Has anyone else seen this? Perhaps a known bug and is there any other way to
bring up the old style properties dialog box without going wading through the
beta bog? : -)
--
Kirk M.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patrick Schmid

Hi Kirk,

No problem here. Works pretty fast. Are you using Vista?

Patrick Schmid
--------------
http://pschmid.net

"Old Beta Tester" wrote in
message :

Just to see if anyone noticed the same problem:

Going into the "File" icon (upper left hand side) drop down menu in Word or
Excel and selecting "Finish" then "Properties from the "Finish" sub-menu; the
"properties" window that appears above your document window is extremely slow
to appear and work in. Almost impossible. Selecting advanced from the "
properties" drop down menu however brings up the old standard properties
dialogue box which works correctly like it always did.

Has anyone else seen this? Perhaps a known bug and is there any other way to
bring up the old style properties dialog box without going wading through the
beta bog? : -)
--
Kirk M.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Old Beta Tester

Oops, violated my own rule.

Hi Patrick,

I'm running a clean, updated XP Pro on a an AMD 3200+ Platform, 512 meg
memory, 200 gig HDD, 128 meg XGI Vortec video card etc, etc (my test
machine). I've been testing IE 7.0 since the first preview build also.

I only use Word and Excel which is the only two Office programs installed.
Both programs seem to operate pretty smooth so far except for the document
properties which slows to a crawl (it does not(!) slow down the rest of Word
or Excel however, just the properties dialog itself). Any ideas?

--
Kirk M.

"Patrick Schmid" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patrick Schmid

Hmm, this is a hunch: Fire up the Office setup again and install
InfoPath.
Any better then?

Patrick Schmid
--------------
http://pschmid.net

"Old Beta Tester" wrote in
message :

"Patrick Schmid" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bob Buckland ?:-\)

Hi Kirk,

Is it only the first time you call up the properties pane or every time (you can right click Finish=Properties and add it to your
Quick Access Toolbar to save a step or two when testing g)

As Patrick mentioned there is a definite tie-in to advanced features if you're working with MS Office 2007 Infopath as well.

==========
"Old Beta Tester" wrote in message
Oops, violated my own rule.

Hi Patrick,

I'm running a clean, updated XP Pro on a an AMD 3200+ Platform, 512 meg
memory, 200 gig HDD, 128 meg XGI Vortec video card etc, etc (my test
machine). I've been testing IE 7.0 since the first preview build also.

I only use Word and Excel which is the only two Office programs installed.
Both programs seem to operate pretty smooth so far except for the document
properties which slows to a crawl (it does not(!) slow down the rest of Word
or Excel however, just the properties dialog itself). Any ideas?

--
Kirk M

--
Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Old Beta Tester

Hi Patrick, Bob,

Appreciate your help.

I installed Info Path as well as the rest of the suite (what the heck, I
have till February) and this is what I noticed.

Initially the properties panel took a very long time to appear every time.
Now after the new installation(s) the first time I access the panel it still
creeps (5-7 seconds to appear), after that it is nearly instantaneous.
However, any operation conducted within the panel is still dead slow w/ a
delay of 3-4 seconds for any operation to take place once executed IE:
setting a cursor position, switching fields, back spacing, deleting etc. The
one exception is that typing is immediate.

I got curious and opened up task manager. Here's what I found in a nutshell
using Word in the test. I don't really believe that Excel would show any
different but I'll check later:

Opening Properties panel first time:

-Open Word. Let it "settle": CPU-0% MEM-21-25megs

-Load a document: CPU-quickly spikes and drops to 0% MEM-34-36megs

-Open Properties Panel: CPU-99% and stays there MEM-68-72megs
Note: Operations within the document are still fairly quick.

-Close Panel: CPU oscillates between approx. 35-58% Mem approx @ 68megs

On the second try the panel instantly appears and CPU runs between approx
58-70% but the delayed reactions still exist as I stated before. Memory usage
still around 68% (it won't "give it up"). Closing Word and and re-opening it
again resets everything back to "normal as in the beginning of the test.
Closing Word leaves nothing "left over" according to the Task Manager.

NOTE: Typing and standard operations within the document barely increase CPU
usage at all. Before trying to open the Properties panel, typing, right
-clicking, etc barely nudge the CPU off of 0% This seems indicative of a
large memory leak within a fairly small module of a much larger program.

Hope this info helps
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patrick Schmid

Hmm, really weird. Was this for a document that had already been saved?
If yes, was it a 97-2003 document or a 2007 one? Does this happen for
all your documents or just a specific one?
Have you tried switching off your anti-virus scanner just to see what
happens then?

Thanks,

Patrick Schmid
--------------
http://pschmid.net

"Old Beta Tester" wrote in
message :

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Old Beta Tester

Real quick.

Hello again,

Just got your post. As far as docs are concerned it's both '97-2003 and new
docx types. No change.

Also, Info Path crashes every time I attempt to bring up a template.

Shutting down antivirus has no effect. (Panda Internet Security).

Reinstalling, repairing etc has no effect. Perhaps I'm missing something in
the works such as .NET frame work 1 or 2 (which I have) or something along
that nature. I can't find anything in the requirements on the MS Office site.
In fact I can't seem to find much about it at all as far as Release Notes are
concerned unlike IE 7.0 for example.

Any clue you might come across, please let me know.

Thanks

--
Kirk M.

"Patrick Schmid" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patrick Schmid

Also, Info Path crashes every time I attempt to bring up a template.
When it crashes, do you send the crash report to MS?

Reinstalling, repairing etc has no effect. Perhaps I'm missing something in
the works such as .NET frame work 1 or 2 (which I have) or something along
that nature. I can't find anything in the requirements on the MS Office site.
In fact I can't seem to find much about it at all as far as Release Notes are
concerned unlike IE 7.0 for example.

AFAIK, the .net framework is not a requirement for Office 2007. It
shouldn't need anything beyond what ships in the package...

Patrick Schmid
http://pschmid.net