Mary Ann M.

Default file path

I recently worked at a company that had a picture of a key on the toolbar
which would automatically insert a filepath on the bottom of the document.
E.G., there were several attorneys, all had their own drives for their work,
yet their work was visible to all partners. How is this accomplished.
Placing the picture of the key on the toolbar and automatically saving the
filepath printed on copy of saved document

You can insert a filename and path using a { FILENAME \p } field. Word has
made it easier for you by saving this field as an AutoText entry, called
"Filename and path," in the Header and Footer style. You can insert it using
the AutoText menu on the Header and Footer toolbar. If you really want to
add a button such as you describe, see the article
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...oToToolbar.htm for the
general principles of creating toolbar buttons.

As for the specifics, in the Tools | Options dialog, one of the categories
that you can assign to buttons is AutoText. If you select that category,
then the "Filename and path" entry, you can drag it to a toolbar to create a
button. It will have a text label, so you will have to right-click on it and
choose "Default Style" (which for toolbar buttons is an icon), then
right-click again and choose "Change Button Image" and select the key icon.

"Mary Ann M." Mary Ann wrote in message
I recently worked at a company that had a picture of a key on the toolbar
which would automatically insert a filepath on the bottom of the document.
E.G., there were several attorneys, all had their own drives for their

work,
yet their work was visible to all partners. How is this accomplished.
Placing the picture of the key on the toolbar and automatically saving the
filepath printed on copy of saved document

Mary Ann M.

Suzanne's reply provided me with some information. However, when I tried to
follow her instructions on how to complete the task of showing a "key" on the
toolbar, my Word 2003 Tools/Options dialog box with all the tabs did not get
me to the option Suzanne Mentioned, i.e.,"As for the specifics, in the Tools

"Mary Ann M." wrote:

I recently worked at a company that had a picture of a key on the toolbar
which would automatically insert a filepath on the bottom of the document.
E.G., there were several attorneys, all had their own drives for their work,
yet their work was visible to all partners. How is this accomplished.
Placing the picture of the key on the toolbar and automatically saving the
filepath printed on copy of saved document

Daiya Mitchell

Try the Tools | Customize dialog instead of Tools | Options.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Whoops! Sorry! I refer to the Tools | Options dialog so often that
apparently my fingers autotype Options as soon as I type Tools!

.. .

"Mary Ann M." wrote:

I recently worked at a company that had a picture of a key on the

toolbar
which would automatically insert a filepath on the bottom of the

document.
E.G., there were several attorneys, all had their own drives for their

work,
yet their work was visible to all partners. How is this accomplished.
Placing the picture of the key on the toolbar and automatically saving

the
filepath printed on copy of saved document

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/
What's an MVP? A volunteer! Read the FAQ:

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/