Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Donna L. Donna L. is offline

Default auto insert text when keying first few letters

Is there a way to accomplish autotext as was done in 2003 version so that I
can key the first few letters and the rest of the word/phrase appears and can
be added to my document?

Thanks for your help.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Word 2007? Then no. You can type the first few letters, if you know them,
and press F3 to insert the entry.

Donna L. wrote:
Is there a way to accomplish autotext as was done in 2003 version so
that I can key the first few letters and the rest of the word/phrase
appears and can be added to my document?

Thanks for your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
margilowry margilowry is offline

I find it very helpful to use the AutoCorrect feature in Word to add my most
commonly used words and phrases. I added it to my QuickAccess Toolbar so I
could easily access it.

To access AutoCorrect: Click the Microsoft Office button (top left of the
toolbar) Word Options Proofing AutoCorrect Options.

Make sure the "Replace Text As You Type" box is checked.

I add the letter or letters I want to type in the replace column, and the
words or phrases in the "With" column. (Hint: You can even select word or
words you just typed and then click on AutoCorrect and the word or phrase
will be in your "With" column.

I know this isn't *specifically* the answer to your question, but if I
understand what you are wanting to do, this will help, I think.

HTH!
ml

"Donna L." wrote:

Is there a way to accomplish autotext as was done in 2003 version so that I
can key the first few letters and the rest of the word/phrase appears and can
be added to my document?

Thanks for your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
djprius djprius is offline

Donna,

You didn't specify exactly your need, but AutoCorrect will likely do
what you want. (See post by margilowry on how to do this.)

If you have set up an AutoCorrect entry, after you type your few
letters and press the space bar it automatically includes what you want
-- including formatted text. Thus, you can use AutoCorrect for a
closing for a letter. For example, an AutoCorrect might be:

Sincerely,

Donna X. Example

If you want to AutoCorrect to include formatted text, you need to put
the "dot" in the circle when setting up the AutoCorrect entry. If you
do that, you can use bold, italics, etc.

David

Donna L. wrote:
Is there a way to accomplish autotext as was done in 2003 version so that I
can key the first few letters and the rest of the word/phrase appears and can
be added to my document?

Thanks for your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Note that you can use autocorrect to insert anything into a document
automatically, but it has the disadvantage over Word 2003's autotext with
autocomplete function in that there is no prompt so you have to remember all
your key combinations. For this reason I tend to use a third party product
to store web addresses etc for use in this forum and elsewhere in a third
party autocorrect application GhostTyperXML which has pop up menus and you
can use the same trigger combination for a variety of similar entries.

Donna L. wrote:
Is there a way to accomplish autotext as was done in 2003 version so
that I can key the first few letters and the rest of the word/phrase
appears and can be added to my document?

Thanks for your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
margilowry margilowry is offline

As I am a transcriptionist, I'm always looking for neat-o (yes, that's a
technical term) programs like this. Thank you, Graham!

ml