Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
smita smita is offline

Default Help With Cross References

I am writing my thesis. I have main body text of the thesis and at the end I
have the references [bulleted (numbered)] to journal papers as shown below:-
.......effective in stabilizing the enzyme structure [4] Early sol€“gel
encapsulation of enzymes dates back to 1970s [5].......
[4].Mozhaev VV, Sergeeva MV, Belova AB, Khmelnitsky YL , Biotechnolgy and
Bioengineering, 1990, 35(7), pp 653-659
[5].Johnson P, Whateley T, Journal of Colloid Interface Science, 1971,37(3),
pp 557
I want to make a clickable (ctrl+left click) reference to the particular
journal paper at the end. I have done successfully this using cross
references.
Now if I want to change the number of the 5th reference ([5].Johnson P,
Whateley ...) to [6]th how do I make the reference number [5] in the main
body text (....dates back to 1970s [5].....) automatically change to [6]?? or
how do I update that?? I tried "update field" as well as ctrl+A & F9 in the
main body text but it would not change the number [5] to [6].
Or in other words I want the refernce at the end to kind of stick to the
corresponding text in the main body. So whatever number I change to the
reference at the end, the corresponding number in the main body should change
to that new number automatically.
Hope I was clear in my probelm.
Please help me. Thanks in advance
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you have used auto numbering for the references list and a hyperlinked
cross-reference (Insert | Reference | Cross-reference: Insert as hyperlink)
to the "Numbered item," it should update with F9.

--------------------

---------------------
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
smita smita is offline

Dear Suzanne,
Thanks for the quick reply.
As I had mentioned in my problem that I had succesfully done the
hyperlinking thing exactly the way you have suggested. But the problem is it
does not update as I change the reference number (with F9 or "update field").
Its stays the same number in the body text on updating.

"Smita" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Can you confirm that you are using auto numbering in the references list?
Also, note that if you are tracking changes, numbering of all sorts will not
be correct until you accept all the changes.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If you have used auto numbering for the references list and a

hyperlinked
cross-reference (Insert | Reference | Cross-reference: Insert as

hyperlink)
to the "Numbered item," it should update with F9.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Smita" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
smita smita is offline

Dear Suzanne,
I am not sure what do you mean by "auto numbering" in the references list.
I just typed in the reference list and numbered them using the "bullet"
function in the toolbar.
I am also not sure by what do you mean ".....until you accept all the
changes". When does it ask me to accept or not?? Is it during updating the
cross reference?? I have never seen any dialog box pop up asking me to accept
the changes or not while updating.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Can you confirm that you are using auto numbering in the references list?
Also, note that if you are tracking changes, numbering of all sorts will not
be correct until you accept all the changes.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Numbering applied via the Numbering button is auto numbering, but it is far
from the best way to number anything important; you should instead be using
a numbered style. You are never "asked" to accept changes; it is something
you have to do voluntarily, but from the wording of your question I suspect
that you do not have Track Changes enabled. In any case, if your numbering
is auto (field) numbering and the cross-reference is being inserted as you
describe, then I can't imagine why you would be unable to update it with F9
unless it has been locked or unlinked. What does the cross-reference look
like when you press Alt+F9?