Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Josh Craig Josh Craig is offline

Default Paste text in a table

I have text from a table of contents which I want to paste into a table.
Problem is I want each table of contents entry to appear in separate cells
but when I try to paste it pastes the whole thing in one cell.

I have tried converting the table of contents to text but this does not help.

Any ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 18:41:01 -0700, Josh Craig
wrote:

I have text from a table of contents which I want to paste into a table.
Problem is I want each table of contents entry to appear in separate cells
but when I try to paste it pastes the whole thing in one cell.

I have tried converting the table of contents to text but this does not help.

Any ideas?

You must not have done the "convert to text" properly. The original
table of contents is a single field, which is why you couldn't
separate it into table cells. If you put the cursor anywhere in the
TOC and press Ctrl+Shift+F9 to unlink the field, it becomes just a
series of paragraphs.

While that text is still selected, go to Table Convert Text To
Table. If you choose tabs as the separator, you'll get a two-column
table with the entries on the left and the page numbers on the right.
If you choose paragraphs as the separators, you'll get a one-column
table with one entry and page number in each cell.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Josh Craig Josh Craig is offline

I was trying to select the converted text and paste it straight in rather
than doing the 'convert text to table' thing. It works now - thanks for
setting me straight!