Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
CJ_Printer CJ_Printer is offline

Default Is there VB or Field Code to change the order of merged fields?

I work in a hospital in house print shop. We have been doing merges for
years using Word with Excel for the data source.

On orders that will be produced more than one to a sheet (ie. 4 sheets
4.25 X 5.5 on 1 sheet 8.5 X 11) we have historically produced an Excel
file containing a set of columns for each set of merged data on per
card. We have done this so each stack after cutting will be in the
correct sequence. (First merged sheet through last merged sheet in one
stack, picking up with the top of the next stack, etc...)

This brings me to our question. Is there a more elegant way, either in
Word or Excel, to accomplish this without having to split the data
source into sets of columns for each set of merged data?

It's really not that big of a deal with small data sources, but when
you get into tens of thousands of names it gets complicated FAST.
Imagine 90000+ names divided into 16 sets of columns. Each set
containing a prefix, first name, middle name, last name, suffix,
credentials, address, city, state, and zip. Then throw in the fact
that about half of the prefix, middle name, suffix, and credential
fields are blank, and you start getting into some pretty difficult
coding.

We're fairly comfortable with our current process, however it's awfully
time intensive.

We are just trying to figure out if we are missing some field code or
VB script that could make our lives easier. Any help would be GREATLY
appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

--
CJ_Printer
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I am not sure that I really understand what you are saying.

Are you saying that to produce four cards to a sheet, you have the data for
each of the four cards in the one record, and that you are using a
formletter type mailmerge main document without using any Next Record
fields?

That is your fields in the mail merge data source are set up as follows

Field1Card1
Field2Card1
FieldnCard1
Field1Card2
Field2Card2
FieldnCard2
Field1Card3
Field2Card3
FieldnCard3

Field1Card4
Field2Card4
FieldnCard4

across the sheet of course (they are transposed above as otherwise the line
breaks might jumble it all up)

If that is not what you are saying, can you elaborate a bit more.
--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP