Rob

Default Work Clip art shape

I have imported (or pasted) an irregular shaped object
(clipartinto a word document. I want to add text around
it so that the text matches the shape and is not in a
box. How do you do that?

It depends on what you mean by "text around it so that the text matches the
shape." If you mean ordinary document text up to the edges of the AutoShape,
then set the wrapping of the AutoShape to Tight. If you mean text that runs
around the outline of the shape, then you don't--at least not in Word. You
will need to use a drawing application such as CorelDRAW that can put text
on a curve.