Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
christy christy is offline

Default I can't delete text by highlighting it?

I have been having a strange problem with my Word 2003. Recently, if I
highlight with my mouse a piece of text (not to make it yellow, just to edit
it) and then start typing, it does not automatically delete the highlighted
text, but my new text just appears right next to it. Also if I highight a
piece of text and press "Backspace," the text remains, and the cursor just
ends up at the front of the highlighted text (but pressing "Delete" will
delete it normally).

This is a very odd and confusing problem, and dangerous when I forget about
it and don't realize that "bad" text that I thought I deleted is still there!

Is there some setting I may have accidently put on? And how can I fix it?

I'm using Word 2003 on a 2005 HP Pavilion Entertainment Notebook PC.

Thank you!