Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tim Tim is offline

Default Word 2007 Constantly Crashing

I have had Office 2007 Working on Vista for several months now. I have a real
printer installed as the default printer (not PDF).

All of a sudden, there is something like a 75% chance that Word will crash
any time I do anything other than type (e.g. paste in text, hit the font
menu, etc). There is no error message giving details. It just stops
responding.

I responded by restarting, installing Office SP1, and restarting again. It
made no difference. What is wrong?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

See http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm then
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...artingWord.htm. and see if
there's an update for your printer driver.

Tim wrote:
I have had Office 2007 Working on Vista for several months now. I
have a real printer installed as the default printer (not PDF).

All of a sudden, there is something like a 75% chance that Word will
crash any time I do anything other than type (e.g. paste in text, hit
the font menu, etc). There is no error message giving details. It
just stops responding.

I responded by restarting, installing Office SP1, and restarting
again. It made no difference. What is wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tim Tim is offline

Thank you for the quick reply. I deleted all the files as directed at the
first link, but it made no difference. I didn't see anything that seemed
relevant at the second link. Word does not freeze at startup. I can type and
type without problem. If I try to do something like save the file, however,
it will likely freeze.

I tried installing a new printer driver and setting it as the default, but
this also had no effect.

The Office diagnostics program failed as well.

One thing that did help was starting Word in safe mode. It seems not to
freeze while in safe mode, but if I exit and start Word normally, it goes
back to its old freezing ways.

Any ideas?

Tim wrote:
I have had Office 2007 Working on Vista for several months now. I
have a real printer installed as the default printer (not PDF).

All of a sudden, there is something like a 75% chance that Word will
crash any time I do anything other than type (e.g. paste in text, hit
the font menu, etc). There is no error message giving details. It
just stops responding.

I responded by restarting, installing Office SP1, and restarting
again. It made no difference. What is wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"Tim" wrote:

Thank you for the quick reply. I deleted all the files as directed at the
first link, but it made no difference. I didn't see anything that seemed
relevant at the second link. Word does not freeze at startup. I can type and
type without problem. If I try to do something like save the file, however,
it will likely freeze.

I tried installing a new printer driver and setting it as the default, but
this also had no effect.

The Office diagnostics program failed as well.

One thing that did help was starting Word in safe mode. It seems not to
freeze while in safe mode, but if I exit and start Word normally, it goes
back to its old freezing ways.

Any ideas?

Any third party add-ins installed?
Do you have your own macros kicking in automatically? (AutoOpen and the
likes...)
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Tim wrote:
One thing that did help was starting Word in safe mode. It seems not
to freeze while in safe mode, but if I exit and start Word normally,
it goes back to its old freezing ways.

which suggests a problem with a user setting - the normal template, add-in
or the Word data key, all listed in the link
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...artingWord.htm.