Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Nanapat Nanapat is offline

Default Sorting a Table

I'm trying to sort a table that looks like this:

A B C D E
11 13 14
12 16 18
15 17 19

(columns B and D are empty but necessary in the document)

and make it look like this:

A B C D E
11 12 13
14 15 16
17 18 19

I would like to select columns A, C and E and have Word put the numbers in
ascending order.

Is there a way to do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

A conventional sort won't work. I suspect you will have to extract the data
http://www.gmayor.com/convert_labels...mail_merge.htm sort it, eliminate
the empty records then create a directory merge back to a single row new
table. In a directory merge you will need a next record field before the
field in colums C & E.

Nanapat wrote:
I'm trying to sort a table that looks like this:

A B C D E
11 13 14
12 16 18
15 17 19

(columns B and D are empty but necessary in the document)

and make it look like this:

A B C D E
11 12 13
14 15 16
17 18 19

I would like to select columns A, C and E and have Word put the
numbers in ascending order.

Is there a way to do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

Try this:
Select the Table.
Table, Table to Text, Separate text with Paragraph Marks.
Table, Sort, Sort by Paragraphs.
Change the selection to only include the numbers (as the empty Paragraph
Marks are now separaretdd from the numbers).
Table, Table to Text, Number of Columns: 3, separate text by Paragraphs.
This will now create a 3-column Table with the numbers in the arrangement
you want.
Now just insert new empty columns in the places required.
Hope this helps
DeanH