Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
livetohike livetohike is offline

Default Auto backup

I have a couple of extremely important documents that I tend to work
on for days at a time. I 'save' frequently but may leave the doc open
for several days.

How can I do the following:

-Automatically save a new version (backup) of Word doc every few
minutes (if it has changed) or at least every time I 'save'.

-Have each version time stamped or at least have a unique name.

-Do the above ONLY for the Word docs I select. (not all of them).

-I am willing to take a hit on slower saves if I can get the above
functionality.

-I am willing to manually housekeep the large number of backups that
may result.

If someone has an alternate approach, please share that as well.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Peter A Peter A is offline

In article d93841cc-d211-409f-b3db-
, says...
I have a couple of extremely important documents that I tend to work
on for days at a time. I 'save' frequently but may leave the doc open
for several days.

How can I do the following:

-Automatically save a new version (backup) of Word doc every few
minutes (if it has changed) or at least every time I 'save'.

-Have each version time stamped or at least have a unique name.

-Do the above ONLY for the Word docs I select. (not all of them).

-I am willing to take a hit on slower saves if I can get the above
functionality.

-I am willing to manually housekeep the large number of backups that
may result.

If someone has an alternate approach, please share that as well.

When I have a critical document such as this, I save it under different
names every hour or so - MyDocument-a.doc, MyDocument-b.doc, and so on.
Then, if a problem arises I have lost at most an hour of work.

I also save to two physically different locations, such as my regular My
Documents on the C drive and also to an external USB drive (a hard drive
and not a USB "Flash" drive") so that if my main drive goes into the
grass I will still have a recent copy.

One of the people here - Graham Mayor I believe - put out a terrific
macro that automatically saves a doc to 2 different locations.

--
Peter Aitken
Author, MS Word for Medical and Technical Writers
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

See http://www.gmayor.com/save_numbered_versions.htm and
http://www.gmayor.com/automatically_backup.htm

livetohike wrote:
I have a couple of extremely important documents that I tend to work
on for days at a time. I 'save' frequently but may leave the doc open
for several days.

How can I do the following:

-Automatically save a new version (backup) of Word doc every few
minutes (if it has changed) or at least every time I 'save'.

-Have each version time stamped or at least have a unique name.

-Do the above ONLY for the Word docs I select. (not all of them).

-I am willing to take a hit on slower saves if I can get the above
functionality.

-I am willing to manually housekeep the large number of backups that
may result.

If someone has an alternate approach, please share that as well.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

My web sitewww.gmayor.com
Word MVP web sitehttp://word.mvps.org

livetohikewrote:
I have a couple of extremely important documents that I tend to work
on for days at a time. I 'save' frequently but may leave the doc open
for several days.

How can I do the following:

-Automatically save a new version (backup) of Word doc every few
minutes (if it has changed) or at least every time I 'save'.

-Have each version time stamped or at least have a unique name.

-Do the above ONLY for the Word docs I select. (not all of them).

-I am willing to take a hit on slower saves if I can get the above
functionality.

-I am willing to manually housekeep the large number of backups that
may result.

If someone has an alternate approach, please share that as well.

Thanks

Thanks, just what I noted. As described below I believe there is an
error in the code. (I notified the author as well).

In order to get it to work I had to change the following:
strFileB = "D:\My Documents\Word Backup\Backup " & strFileA

to:
strFileB = "D:\My Documents\Word Backup\Backup\" & strFileA

I appended the back slash and deleted the space immediately preceding
the ending quote.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

livetohike wrote:
Thanks, just what I noted. As described below I believe there is an
error in the code. (I notified the author as well).

In order to get it to work I had to change the following:
strFileB = "D:\My Documents\Word Backup\Backup " & strFileA

to:
strFileB = "D:\My Documents\Word Backup\Backup\" & strFileA

I appended the back slash and deleted the space immediately preceding
the ending quote.

There is nothing wrong with the code (and I don't recall receiving a comment
from you about it). You merely have an extra subdirectory in your path from
that used in the macro. The page merely demonstrates a method; there is
nothing written in stone as to how you should format you filenames and
paths.

How do I turn off file auto backup purrrfect Microsoft Word Help 3 October 2nd 08 10:36 PM
Uploading backup of Auto Text and Macros MLong Microsoft Word Help 1 October 18th 07 05:23 PM
How can I create a backup of all auto text entries? Susan K. Microsoft Word Help 2 March 24th 06 06:07 AM
Auto save backup Michael New Users 1 January 18th 06 12:09 AM
How do I backup the "auto corrections" file? iozgur New Users 1 June 16th 05 04:45 PM