Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Nat Nat is offline

Default Formatting a Merge field from xls doc

I have a Word 03 document that is merging data from an Excel 03 spreadsheet,
and even though the data is formatted as currency ($#,###.00) when it is
inserted into the Word merge document it has no formatting. Do I have to
format the merge field in the Word document, and if so does anyone know how?
This is being done using Word & Excel 07 BTW.

Thanks a lot,
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Short Story: The formatting in Excel is exactly that - *formatting* - which
is a property of the cell, not literal characters in the data.

Long Story: http://word.mvps.org/faqs/MailMerge/index.htm
--
HTH |:)
Bob Jones

"Nat" wrote in message
I have a Word 03 document that is merging data from an Excel 03
spreadsheet,
and even though the data is formatted as currency ($#,###.00) when it is
inserted into the Word merge document it has no formatting. Do I have to
format the merge field in the Word document, and if so does anyone know
how?
This is being done using Word & Excel 07 BTW.

Thanks a lot,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Nat Nat is offline

Thanks so much Graham. this was helpful as it provides 2 solutions: Either
format with switch, or choose the way Word communicates with XLS data source.
I have chosen the former, however I could not get the \# ",0.00" to work for
some reason so I tweaked it slightly. My solutions was to add the following
switch [\ # #,##0.00.

Not sure why it works but it does. Thanks again,

Nat

Nat wrote:
I have a Word 03 document that is merging data from an Excel 03
spreadsheet, and even though the data is formatted as currency
($#,###.00) when it is inserted into the Word merge document it has
no formatting. Do I have to format the merge field in the Word
document, and if so does anyone know how? This is being done using
Word & Excel 07 BTW.

Thanks a lot,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

More curious is why the original switch didn't work, my guess would be smart
quotes in the field construction, but yours should do the job.

Nat wrote:
I have a Word 03 document that is merging data from an Excel 03
spreadsheet, and even though the data is formatted as currency
($#,###.00) when it is inserted into the Word merge document it has
no formatting. Do I have to format the merge field in the Word
document, and if so does anyone know how? This is being done using
Word & Excel 07 BTW.

Thanks a lot,

Formatting a Mail Merge Field Angela Mailmerge 2 May 24th 06 08:36 PM
Mail merge field formatting Judy123 Mailmerge 3 April 26th 06 02:43 PM
Merge Field Formatting Leonardo Soto Mailmerge 1 March 31st 06 05:43 PM
Merge field formatting Jim Mailmerge 3 August 5th 05 11:55 PM
Merge Field Formatting Matty_b Mailmerge 1 May 10th 05 03:03 PM