Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
sandswillis sandswillis is offline

Default Making document a form

I really hope I can explain what I'm trying to do here. I'm wanting to create
a template that I can use over and over again for work. I thought in one of
the older versions of word that there was a way that I could click on a
field/section and a field would pop up and and say what to enter and it would
automatically populate that field with that answer. I've got a marketing fact
sheet that has reoccuring bits of information and it would be so nice to have
those pieces auto populated based on certain answers.

Any helps on this?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Sat, 3 May 2008 20:00:00 -0700, sandswillis
wrote:

I really hope I can explain what I'm trying to do here. I'm wanting to create
a template that I can use over and over again for work. I thought in one of
the older versions of word that there was a way that I could click on a
field/section and a field would pop up and and say what to enter and it would
automatically populate that field with that answer. I've got a marketing fact
sheet that has reoccuring bits of information and it would be so nice to have
those pieces auto populated based on certain answers.

Any helps on this?

Go to Insert Field (in Word 2007, Insert Quick Parts Field) and choose
"Fill-in" from the list of field names. In the Prompt box in the middle part of
the dialog, enter the description text that should appear in the popup.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
sandswillis sandswillis is offline

Jay, Thanks for the help. I didn't even know where to look in Word 2007! I'll
look around and see if there are any tutorials, but in the meantime I have a
question. I'm able to ge the pop up appear, but I can't get it to stay when I
save the document so when the next user uses it they know what to enter.
Also, is there a way that if they complete a field that I can populate that
same answer in multiple places? If anyone needs me to send them a copy of
the document for reference, let me know.

Spencer

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

I don't think I understand what you're doing when you say "I can't get it to
stay when I save the document so when the next user uses it they know what to
enter".

If the template contains a fill-in field and you use the New Document dialog to
create a new document based on the template, it should display the fill-in popup
automatically.

If you save such a document with a filled-in field and later re-open it, you
won't automatically get the popup. However, you can right-click the field and
choose Update Field, or select everything (Ctrl+A) and update all fields (F9) to
see the popup.

To repeat the answer in other places, insert a bookmark to surround the fill-in
field, and then insert cross-references at the other places. Again, if you do
Ctrl+A and then F9 to update the fill-in field, that will also update the
cross-references at the same time.