Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Helen Helen is offline

Default Urgent - How can I hide a footnote from the TOC?

Hi,

A user here insists in adding a footnote to a heading; then, same heading is
part of the TOC, along with the footnote number. How can I hide the footnote
number in the TOC?

Word 2003.

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Doesn't that throw off the numbering of all the footnotes??

You could manually delete the footnote from the ToC (but it will
reappear each time you regenerate the ToC).

You could format it as Hidden.

You could show your user where the Chicago Manual of Style says that
footnotes are NEVER hung from displayed material (such as headings).

On May 5, 5:18*pm, Helen wrote:
Hi,

A user here insists in adding a footnote to a heading; then, same heading is
part of the TOC, along with the footnote number. *How can I hide the footnote
number in the TOC?

Word 2003.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Helen Helen is offline

Hi,

You are right: A footnote should never be in a heading, however, the user
insisted. But, finally, I found out that in the Styles panel, there's a
style called "Footnote;Reference". I applied it to the footnote in the
heading and it did not show up in the TOC.

Helene

On May 5, 5:18 pm, Helen wrote:
Hi,

A user here insists in adding a footnote to a heading; then, same heading is
part of the TOC, along with the footnote number. How can I hide the footnote
number in the TOC?

Word 2003.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Helen Helen is offline

I guess it was because it was a "real" footnote. However, I was surprised,
and relieved, that this FootnoteReference style did the trick.

On May 5, 5:18 pm, Helen wrote:
Hi,

A user here insists in adding a footnote to a heading; then, same
heading is
part of the TOC, along with the footnote number. How can I hide the
footnote
number in the TOC?

Word 2003.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I also would be (pleasantly) surprised; I had never thought about this
before, and pace the Chicago Manual, I do sometimes footnote headings: it's
not uncommon in the case of a footnote acknowledging the source of material
in a given section.

On May 5, 5:18 pm, Helen wrote:
Hi,

A user here insists in adding a footnote to a heading; then, same
heading is
part of the TOC, along with the footnote number. How can I hide the
footnote
number in the TOC?

Word 2003.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Not necessarily. Sometimes only a very specific section of a document is
attributed to someone else. "I am indebted to x for providing y," or "I
would like to thank my friend x for suggesting the approach taken in this
section," or whatever.

On May 5, 5:18 pm, Helen wrote:
Hi,

A user here insists in adding a footnote to a heading; then, same
heading is
part of the TOC, along with the footnote number. How can I hide
the
footnote
number in the TOC?

Word 2003.

Thanks!-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

That belongs in the Acknowledgments in the front of the book (I don't
think Chicago has succumbed to the recent practice of putting
Acknowledgments in the back); if it's unavoidable to put it in a
chapter, the note still doesn't go on a heading, but on the first
sentence of the text.

(I've been editing for the U of C Press since 1984, including several
years as a full-time employee ...)