Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Alex Zimmerhaven Alex Zimmerhaven is offline

Default Courier vs. Courier New in Word 2007

Thanks in advance to all of the hardworking MVPs that monitor this board!
You guys are lifesavers.

One of my clients using Word 2007 noticed that symbols while transferring
table data between the 'Courier' and 'Courier New' font behaved differently.
While researching this issue I learned that 'Courier' is an older bit-mapped
font that is best used for onscreen display but not printing. 'Courier New'
is a TrueType font that works well in either environment. I noticed a when a
symbol is entered in 'Courier' then switched to 'Courier New' and back the
symbol appears to remain in the TrueType format. Is there any known reason
for why this occurs or why symbols behave differently with these two fonts?
Is there anything that can be done regarding this?

Again, thanks in advance,
Alex Zimmerhaven

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

A version of Courier will be installed when you are using a printer with a
resident Courier font eg some HP printers. If the active printer that has
the font is not present then there will be font substitution. The answer is
to only use the fonts that you require - just as you wouldn't use Arial when
you want Times New Roman, don't use Courier when you require Courier New.

Alex Zimmerhaven wrote:
Thanks in advance to all of the hardworking MVPs that monitor this
board! You guys are lifesavers.

One of my clients using Word 2007 noticed that symbols while
transferring table data between the 'Courier' and 'Courier New' font
behaved differently. While researching this issue I learned that
'Courier' is an older bit-mapped font that is best used for onscreen
display but not printing. 'Courier New' is a TrueType font that works
well in either environment. I noticed a when a symbol is entered in
'Courier' then switched to 'Courier New' and back the symbol appears
to remain in the TrueType format. Is there any known reason for why
this occurs or why symbols behave differently with these two fonts?
Is there anything that can be done regarding this?

Again, thanks in advance,
Alex Zimmerhaven

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Alex Zimmerhaven Alex Zimmerhaven is offline

Graham,

Thank you so much for your timely response here, I really appreciate it.
I've read many of your responses over the years and they have been most
helpful. Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to assist here.

Have a great rest of the week.

-Alex

courier bhc Microsoft Word Help 2 February 11th 08 04:29 AM
word wrap in courier new crorad Page Layout 2 October 3rd 07 10:16 PM
How do I Revert MS word doc to Courier new from wingdings3 Buyer III Microsoft Word Help 1 July 7th 06 01:07 PM
Doc converted fr. WP to Word - Courier New looks/prints dif Why? STGriffin Microsoft Word Help 1 March 27th 06 01:49 AM
Adding new fonts to Word. (ex. Courier New - add Courier only) BarrettLundgren Microsoft Word Help 8 October 18th 05 06:15 AM