Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ed from AZ Ed from AZ is offline

Default Help! Changed heading style and lost my hyperlinks!

I had hyperlinks in my document back to various headings that were
formatted using the standard Word Heading1 style. I created a custom
style - MyReportHeading - and lost the hyperlinks. When I go to Edit
Hyperlink and click Place in this Document, my custom heading style
does not show up!!

Can I get my heading style to show up here? Or do I have to go back
and assign bookmarks to all these headings so I can hyperlink to them?

Ed
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

As you have noticed, only paragraphs formatted with the built-in headings
will show up in the Hyperlink dialog box. You will have to manually bookmark
your custom headings, and then hyperlink the bookmarks.

Note that instead of using custom headings, you could modify the built-in
heading styles to suit your needs. See
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/styl...ifyAStyle.html.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Ed from AZ" wrote in message
I had hyperlinks in my document back to various headings that were
formatted using the standard Word Heading1 style. I created a custom
style - MyReportHeading - and lost the hyperlinks. When I go to Edit
Hyperlink and click Place in this Document, my custom heading style
does not show up!!

Can I get my heading style to show up here? Or do I have to go back
and assign bookmarks to all these headings so I can hyperlink to them?

Ed

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

To add to what Stefan has said, there are many distinct advantages to using
Word's built-in heading styles (you've discovered one of them); see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...ingStyles.html

"Ed from AZ" wrote in message
I had hyperlinks in my document back to various headings that were
formatted using the standard Word Heading1 style. I created a custom
style - MyReportHeading - and lost the hyperlinks. When I go to Edit
Hyperlink and click Place in this Document, my custom heading style
does not show up!!

Can I get my heading style to show up here? Or do I have to go back
and assign bookmarks to all these headings so I can hyperlink to them?

Ed

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ed from AZ Ed from AZ is offline

The problems came when someone else added to the report, inserted a
header, and applied that style. But on *their* computer, the style
was modified slightly, so it became indented and autonumbered! And
the other person doesn't know enough to realize that something is
different, much less how to copy a style. So it seemed better just to
create a unique style within the document for all these headers.

Ed

Word's built-in heading styles (you've discovered one of them); seehttp://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/UseBuiltInHeadingStyles.html

"Ed from AZ" wrote in message
I had hyperlinks in my document back to various headings that were
formatted using the standard Word Heading1 style. *I created a custom
style - MyReportHeading - and lost the hyperlinks. *When I go to Edit
Hyperlink and click Place in this Document, my custom heading style
does not show up!!

Can I get my heading style to show up here? *Or do I have to go back
and assign bookmarks to all these headings so I can hyperlink to them?

Ed- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Unless the other user has "Automatically update document styles" enabled (or
the style had not been previously used in the document) the document style
settings should override local ones.