Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
KateB KateB is offline

Default How do I add 'insert filepath' command to a button?

I would like to add a button to a toolbar which will insert the document
filepath when clicked. Does anyone know how to do it??
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

KateB wrote:
I would like to add a button to a toolbar which will insert the
document filepath when clicked. Does anyone know how to do it??

If you have Word 2007, post back for different instructions. For Word 2003
or earlier:

Open the Tools Customize dialog and click the Commands tab. In the
Categories list, click AutoText. In the Commands list, find "Filename and
path", and drag that item from the Customize dialog to the place on the
toolbar where you want it.

Initially the button will have just the text "Filename and path".
Right-click it, click "Change button image", and select an icon. Right-click
again and click "Default style" to make the button show only the icon.

See http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Custom...oToToolbar.htm
for more info.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

You've already received three answers to this question in the new thread you
started three hours earlier. Any one of them will solve the issue. The
answer I would have given you is substantially the same as Graham Mayor's.

Also, please understand that email replies to newsgroup posts are rare. The
point of the newsgroups is that answers are posted as replies to the
questions, so that anyone can read them and the whole community benefits.

jstiglets wrote:
I have MS Office 2007. Can you provide instructions for adding a
button for filename/path for 2007? and could you reply back to me at
? Thank you

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

KateB wrote:
[...]

newsgroup so all may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jstiglets jstiglets is offline

Yes, I saw the other replies, but this question relates to setting up a
button. I am talking about adding a button to my file menu, not setting up a
template. Adding a button and setting up a template seem to be two different
things.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

KateB wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jstiglets jstiglets is offline

and, in your reply to LayB you wrote, "If you have Word 2007, post back for
different instructions" which is what I did.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

KateB wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Graham posted a macro in his reply. Store that macro in your Normal.dotm
template (see http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm if you need help
with that).

Then create a button on the Quick Access Toolbar to run the macro. To do
that, go to Office button Word Options Customize, set the category to
Macros, select your new macro, and click the Add button. If you want, you
can then click the Modify button to change the icon that will appear on the
Quick Access Toolbar and to edit the text of the tooltip.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

KateB wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Installing buttons in Word 2007 and earlier is covered in the link to my web
page you have quoted.