Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Barb Barb is offline

Default word template

We have 17 different 'manuals' that I need to create. All have the same
similar first few pages, cover page, TOC, etc.
I have created a 'template' with a cover page, TOC, Org Chart, saved the
headings as I'd like them, using various styles etc, and saved it as a *.dot.
Now, I'd like to 'merge' a plain text doc into this *.dot so I can format
the headings, body text indent, etc.
I've tried going both ways with the Merge & Compare, (Merge into, and Merge
to New) but each time I get the same results... which is not what I need. If
I reject the changes, I end up with nothing, and if I accept the changes, I
get what I don't want. Does that make any sense?
I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong... is there a better way?
Each paragraph of the 'plain text' doc is numbered and I need a way to
automatically remove all of those numbers as well. Unfortunately, they are
using 'bullets & numbering', they were manually added. I also need to be
able to include a Reference at the end of the paragraph that will create an
index at the end of the 'manual'. I've created this before using the
concordance.

All in all, it takes about 1 full day to create one manual, but was
wondering if there is any easier way.
Thanks...
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Peter A Peter A is offline

In article ,
says...
[...]

You don't "merge" anything into a template, Word does not work that way.
You need to create documents (*.doc), each based on the template, and
then insert the text files and proceed with your formatting.

--
Peter Aitken
Author, MS Word for Medical and Technical Writers
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Barb Barb is offline

ok... I thought I was making it much harder than it should be.

As for removing the manual paragraph numbering, is there an easier way than,
"down arrow, delete, repeat"?
Thanks!

"Peter A" wrote:

In article ,
says...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If the paragraphs have a hanging indent (not likely if it's a text file) you
could use column-select (Alt+drag) to select just the numbers and delete.

Or, depending on the formatting after the number, you might be able to use
Find and Replace to delete them.

"Barb" wrote in message
news
ok... I thought I was making it much harder than it should be.

As for removing the manual paragraph numbering, is there an easier way
than,
"down arrow, delete, repeat"?
Thanks!

"Peter A" wrote: