Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Laura Laura is offline

Default merge directory type doc with excel data source

I am using Word 2007 and Exel 2007. Using mail merge wizard, I choose
directory as type of document and select recipients which are in Excel with
column headings. I select the merge fields name and address. I want several
name and address records to appear on one page. If I insert merge fields
until I fill the page, it prints the first record several times on page 1,
then prints the second record serveral times on page 2, etc.

If I insert Next Record field before the name merge field beginning with the
second record of name and address and continue inserting merge fields
preceded by Next Record field until I fill the page, it prints all the
records on page 1 but continues printing additional pages beginning with the
second record of the previous page. For example, if there are 5 records,
page 1 lists 5 records, page 2 lists 4 records, page 3 lists 3 records etc.

How do I get the mail merge to only print the 5 records on one page?
--
Laura
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

For a Directory type mail merge, just insert one set of Merge Fields in the
mail merge main document and nothing else. When you execute that merge, you
will get the desired result.

If you want the data to appear in a table, insert a one row table into the
main document and insert the fields into the cells of that table. If the
fields are not in a table, you will need an empty paragraph after the the
paragraph containing the merge fields so that the data for each record is in
a separate paragraph in the document produced by executing the merge.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Laura" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Laura Laura is offline

I inserted one set of Merge Fields in the mail merge main document and nother
else but the merge resulted in one record on each page and not all records on
one page. Do you have any other suggestions?
--
Laura

"Laura" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

My only other suggestion is to double check that the main document is a
Directory type. If you execute the merge, does the document that is
produced have the name of "Directory#", which it will have if the main
document is a Directory. Otherwise it will be named "Letters#"

--

"Laura" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Laura Laura is offline

Your reply "execute the merge, does the document that is produced have the
name of "Directory#" triggered the "Aha" realization that I had only looked
at Preview and had not actually executed the full merge. It works. Thanks.
--
Laura