Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BDB BDB is offline

Default extract text form document

I have a document with some position information in the form
x= a,aaa,aaa y = bbb,bbb

This information is repeated quite a few times in the document. Is there a
way for me to grab only this text and put it into a spread sheet, comma
delimited file, or something similar?

Thanks for the help.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you can define a wild card search that will find every instance of this
pattern, you can use "Highlight all items found." After using Find All,
click the document title bar to switch the focus back to the document with
the found items still selected. Ctrl+C to copy, then Ctrl+V to paste into a
new document.

"BDB" wrote in message
news
I have a document with some position information in the form
x= a,aaa,aaa y = bbb,bbb

This information is repeated quite a few times in the document. Is there
way for me to grab only this text and put it into a spread sheet, comma
delimited file, or something similar?

Thanks for the help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
StevenM[_2_] StevenM[_2_] is offline

To: BDB,

I think you need to be more precise in what you're asking. For example:

Are we talking about "x=" or does "x" represent any number?
If it is "x=", then is it always "x=" or sometimes "x =" (with a space)?
Is the text following "x=" numbers or something else?
Is there always three items seperated by comma following "x=", or are there
some times only two groups, or sometimes four groups?
The same type of questions go for "y =".
In your example, you wrote "x=" without a space, but "y =" with a space, is
that significant, or no?
Are there always three items after "x=", but always two items after "y ="?
And, finially, what is in the rest of the text. Can we search for "x="
knowing that "x=" does not appear in the rest of the document in some other
context? Or do we have to be more specific and search for only "x=" when
followed by 3 items seperated by commas?

It can be done, if you can be more precise.

Steven Craig Miller

"BDB" wrote:

I have a document with some position information in the form
x= a,aaa,aaa y = bbb,bbb

This information is repeated quite a few times in the document. Is there a
way for me to grab only this text and put it into a spread sheet, comma
delimited file, or something similar?

Thanks for the help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BDB BDB is offline

Thanks. This is perfect.

Sorry if wasn't much of a challenge.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If you can define a wild card search that will find every instance of this
pattern, you can use "Highlight all items found." After using Find All,
click the document title bar to switch the focus back to the document with
the found items still selected. Ctrl+C to copy, then Ctrl+V to paste into a
new document.

"BDB" wrote in message
news
I have a document with some position information in the form
x= a,aaa,aaa y = bbb,bbb

This information is repeated quite a few times in the document. Is there
way for me to grab only this text and put it into a spread sheet, comma
delimited file, or something similar?

Thanks for the help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:

It would have been quite a challenge if you'd asked me to come up with the
wildcard syntax required.

There is the old saw, "the devil is in the details." Often success or
failure depends on the smallest of detail. For all the marvelous deeds of a
computer, it is pretty stupid, it only does what it is told, it doesn't have
the intelligence to do what we want instead. g

Steven Craig Miller