Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
tgreenwood tgreenwood is offline

Default Boldrun - what is it?

In MS Word 2003 SP2, I was personalizing my menus. I went to Tools,
Customize, Commands tab. Under Categories, I selected All Commands. Under
Commands, I found Boldrun. I added it to my Formatting toolbar, selected some
text, and clicked it. It simply makes selected text bold, and selected bold
text unbold.

Anything I'm missing?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

My guess is that it has something to do with languages other than English.
If you google for "Boldrun command Microsoft Word," a couple of the hits on
the first page are written in Chinese but have the word "BoldRun" in roman
letters.

Another page from a Russian site provides the following definition:

"Adds the bold character format to or removes it from the current run. If
the run contains a mix of bold and non-bold text, this method adds the bold
character format to the entire run.
"Remarks
"For more information on using Microsoft Word with right-to-left languages,
see Word features for right-to-left languages."

Another hit appears to be written in Turkish.

"tgreenwood" wrote in message
news
In MS Word 2003 SP2, I was personalizing my menus. I went to Tools,
Customize, Commands tab. Under Categories, I selected All Commands. Under
Commands, I found Boldrun. I added it to my Formatting toolbar, selected
some
text, and clicked it. It simply makes selected text bold, and selected
bold
text unbold.

Anything I'm missing?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

A Run of text is a series of consecutive characters with the same
formatting, A Boldrun is a run of bold text and the boldrun command is a
toggle so if you position your cursor somewhere and invoke the boldrun
command it will toggle the bold setting for the run the cursor is in - the
word the insertion point is in, for example. That said, its behaviour is
slightly more involved, and I do think it is more useful in scripts that
don't include spaces.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Tony,

As you mentioned, it can get a bit complex

If you have turned off the option to 'select entire Word' then the Boldrun (or ItalicRun) commands won't show an affect by having
the insertion point in the Word, it will need to have text selected (i.e. changing that setting shortens a 'run' to current position
only).

==============
"Tony Jollans" My forename at my surname dot com wrote in message ...
A Run of text is a series of consecutive characters with the same
formatting, A Boldrun is a run of bold text and the boldrun command is a
toggle so if you position your cursor somewhere and invoke the boldrun
command it will toggle the bold setting for the run the cursor is in - the
word the insertion point is in, for example. That said, its behaviour is
slightly more involved, and I do think it is more useful in scripts that
don't include spaces.

--
Enjoy,
Tony