Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
rhst11 rhst11 is offline

Default Word document lost outline numbering format

I have SOE images builded with Office 2003 on HP and Dell PCs. Same WORD
document can display the outline numbering format on the HP PCs, but can't
display on the Dell PCs. It lost it's numbering format. I have compared the
MS Word setting with the 2 PCs images, they all the same. I have no idea how
can this happened.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi rhst

rhst11 wrote:
I have SOE images builded with Office 2003 on HP and Dell PCs. Same WORD
document can display the outline numbering format on the HP PCs, but can't
display on the Dell PCs. It lost it's numbering format. I have compared the
MS Word setting with the 2 PCs images, they all the same. I have no idea how
can this happened.

how exactly has the numbering been set-up? Are you familiar, say, with:

See the section on "Numbering, bullets, Headings, Outlines" (by Shauna
Kelly)
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
rhst11 rhst11 is offline

It is created under the same instruction. Both machines had Office 2003 SP3
installed with exactly same settings. A word document created with outline
numbering on a HP PC as example below:

1. Heading 1
1.1 sub-heading 1
sub contents 1
1.2 sub-heading 2
sub contents 2

2. Heading 2

The same document open in the Dell PC will then look like:

1. Heading 1
sub-heading 1
sub contents 1
sub-heading 2
sub contents 2

2. Heading 2

Now I can't find a solution to make all PCs to view the document in the
right format.
Can anyone help?

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

Hi rhst

rhst11 wrote:
I have SOE images builded with Office 2003 on HP and Dell PCs. Same WORD
document can display the outline numbering format on the HP PCs, but can't
display on the Dell PCs. It lost it's numbering format. I have compared the
MS Word setting with the 2 PCs images, they all the same. I have no idea how
can this happened.

how exactly has the numbering been set-up? Are you familiar, say, with:

See the section on "Numbering, bullets, Headings, Outlines" (by Shauna
Kelly)
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports
X Against HTML | for | with Word?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

In Tools | Templates and Add-Ins, is the option to "Automatically update
document styles" checked? If so, clear it.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"rhst11" wrote in message
It is created under the same instruction. Both machines had Office 2003
SP3
installed with exactly same settings. A word document created with outline
numbering on a HP PC as example below:

1. Heading 1
1.1 sub-heading 1
sub contents 1
1.2 sub-heading 2
sub contents 2

2. Heading 2

The same document open in the Dell PC will then look like:

1. Heading 1
sub-heading 1
sub contents 1
sub-heading 2
sub contents 2

2. Heading 2

Now I can't find a solution to make all PCs to view the document in the
right format.
Can anyone help?

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

Hi rhst

rhst11 wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

rhst11 wrote:
It is created under the same instruction.

you are saying you followed Shauna's Article there, including naming the
list template etc.?

If that's the case, and the setting Stefan mentions is not ticked, then
I don't think I have anything to add (aside from corruption, well).

0.02ΒΆ
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
rhst11 rhst11 is offline

The option "Automatically update..." was NOT checked on any PCs.
I have also tried to copy the Normal.dot from HP PCs to Dell PCs, but didn't
work either.
However, I can manually change the numbering style under "Format" - "Bullets
and Numbering", and it can show the correct outline numbering in the
document. But I don't prefer to do that on every user's word documents
(there're too many of them). I am looking for a possible solution such as
modify settings on the Dell PCs or if there's any update or patch can fix the
problem.

"rhst11" wrote in message
It is created under the same instruction. Both machines had Office 2003
SP3
installed with exactly same settings. A word document created with outline
numbering on a HP PC as example below:

1. Heading 1
1.1 sub-heading 1
sub contents 1
1.2 sub-heading 2
sub contents 2

2. Heading 2

The same document open in the Dell PC will then look like:

1. Heading 1
sub-heading 1
sub contents 1
sub-heading 2
sub contents 2

2. Heading 2

Now I can't find a solution to make all PCs to view the document in the
right format.
Can anyone help?

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

Hi rhst

rhst11 wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"rhst11" wrote in message
The option "Automatically update..." was NOT checked on any PCs.

OK. For what it's worth, note that "Automatically update document styles" is
a document-specific setting, which means that a specific document should
behave the same regardless of which Word installation opens it.

I have also tried to copy the Normal.dot from HP PCs to Dell PCs, but
didn't
work either.

The Normal template is only relevant in this case if (a) the document is
based on Normal and (b) the "Automatically update..." option is checked.

However, I can manually change the numbering style under "Format" -
"Bullets
and Numbering", and it can show the correct outline numbering in the
document. But I don't prefer to do that on every user's word documents
(there're too many of them). I am looking for a possible solution such as
modify settings on the Dell PCs or if there's any update or patch can fix
the
problem.

You could try selecting the problem paragraphs and pressing Ctrl+Q to reset
paragraph formatting (including numbering) to style. Does that make a
difference at all?

If the above fails, you may want to treat the document as corrupt, as Robert
suggested. See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm.

For future reference, be sure to set up numbering as explained at
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html. In
particular, avoid the Format | Bullets and Numbering dialog box with
numbering.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"rhst11" wrote in message
[...]

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

Hi rhst

rhst11 wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
rhst11 rhst11 is offline

I have 400 HP PCs installed with Office2003, and they all able to view those
word documents with the correct numbering formats. I also emailed one of the
document to some where else with Office 2000 and 2007 opened with no problem
at all. It is hard for me to believe those docuemnts are all corrupted.
The issue is I have recently builded another 20 Dell PCs with new SOE image
that can't display the correct numbering format with those word documents.
That's why I thought it would be something to do with the Office2003 on the
new PC image. But i'm still unable to find out the cause.

"rhst11" wrote in message
[...]

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

Hi rhst

rhst11 wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Well, if the formatting is correct on some installations but not on others,
then it seems likely that something is wrong with the installation.
Unfortunately, I have no idea what the problem could be. :-(

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"rhst11" wrote in message
[...]

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

Hi rhst

rhst11 wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tyler[_3_] Tyler[_3_] is offline

"rhst11" wrote in message
[...]

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

Hi rhst

rhst11 wrote:
[...]

* / \ * * in e-mail & news * | Word |http://www.masteringword.eu/- Hide quoted text -

Hi,

I think you can try a utility called Advanced Word Repair to repair
your Word document. It works rather well for my corrupt Word
documents. Its web address is http://www.datanumen.com/awr/

Alan