Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
row.rene row.rene is offline

Default Word 2007 Spell Check Doesnt Work!

I have recently purchased Microsoft Office 2007 and have found that what ever
I do my spellchecker in word just wont work. As I am doing a bachelor degree
at uni this is proving to be very annoying. I have tried fixing it but
nothing works. I also dont have the
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Proofing
Tools\1.0\Override" so therefore I have nothing to delete there. Can anyone help?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Rene,

Was this a new installation of Word or an upgrade over a prior version?

There are a few things you can check if that key is not present and if you still don't get a spell check choice when you press F7 in
Word

1. In Word 2007, under
Office Button=Word Options=Add-Ins
check to see what is listed under 'Disabled'

2. In Word 2007, under
Office Button=Word Options=Proofing
check the settings for 'When corecting spelling and grammar in Word' to see if Word is setup to mark errors as you go.

3. In a Word 2007 document, use Ctrl+A to select the text in the document then use, on the Ribbon
Review Tab=Proofing Group=Set Language button
is the 'Do not check spelling or grammar' button either
'check marked' [applies throughout the document], or
'colored in' [applies to some of the document?

If either, turn that setting off and click the [Default] button there if you want to always have Word check your spelling. Then see
if you get a different spell check result.

4. If in #3 you had the 'colored in' button, and want to see which text was set to be skipped for spell check you can use

Ctrl+F to bring up the find dialog, leave the 'Find What' field blank and in More=Format=Language click on
[x] Do not check spelling or grammar
then in the Find dialog click the 'Reading Highlight' 'Highlight All' choice, followed by 'Reading Highlight' 'Clear Highlighting'
to toggle the highlighting off (or save/close reopen the document [it's not saved with the document].

==============

--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
row.rene[_2_] row.rene[_2_] is offline

Hi Bob,

Thanks for replying. I had just bought a new computer and a laptop. Both
came with the trial version of Microsoft Office and the spell checker didnt
work on that version so when my trial version ran out I purchased the full
Office Home and Student 2007 from Harvey Norman. I thought that that would
fix it but it still hasnt.

My grammar check works but even if a word is spelled really weirdly, the
spell check still doesnt pick them up. I have run through each of your points
and nothing worked.

Also, everytime I highlight all of the text and then check in the set
language box, the "do not check spelling or grammar" box is always
highlighted. Please help as I am doing so many huge assignments and it is so
hard to check 2500 words by hand! It is very annoying to think that you pay
so much money for something and then it doesnt work properly.

Thanking you

Rene

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

hi Rene,

If [x] Do not check spelling or grammar is always checked then it could be set as the default in the template you're using for your
Word documents or the definitiions in your Quick Style set on the Home ribbon.

In the 'Set Languages' choice in
Review=Proofing=Set Language
is there an 'abc' logo next to the English language choice?

If you turned off the
[ ] Do not check...
setting and clicked the [Default] button in that dialog, then restarted Word 2007 and created a new document. What language is
showing for text in that new document?

If your system settings in the control panel for language don't match the language you're working in with Word turn off the 'Set
Language' choice to 'automatically detect' langugage.