Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PL PL is offline

Default line above footer

Hi

Just want to know how to add the short horizontal line above the footer in
MS word. Thank you.
Example:

Main Text

__________

Source of these articles... ...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

If you are really trying to add a line to the footer you can insert an
autoshape. However, from your description it seems as if you are trying to
insert footnotes? If so, Word will insert a footnote separator by default.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"PL" wrote in message
Hi

Just want to know how to add the short horizontal line above the footer in
MS word. Thank you.
Example:

Main Text

__________

Source of these articles... ...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jules[_3_] Jules[_3_] is offline

It appears you mean footnotes - make sure you have inserted a footnote in
main document first. Then switch to Normal View (bottom left on status
line) 2003 prior
Go to Menu
View Footnotes Select Footnote Separator from dropdown
Close
Change view back.

"PL" wrote in message
Hi

Just want to know how to add the short horizontal line above the footer
in
MS word. Thank you.
Example:

Main Text

__________

Source of these articles... ...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

To add a footnote:

- Insert | Reference | Footnote (Word 2003).

- References tab | Insert Footnote (Word 2007).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"PL" wrote in message
Hi

Just want to know how to add the short horizontal line above the footer
in
MS word. Thank you.
Example:

Main Text

__________

Source of these articles... ...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PL PL is offline

Hi Jules,

Thanks for teaching me how to insert the Footnote Separator.

But now the Footnote Separator only appears on my 1st page & not on
subsequent pages of my document-- how do I resolve this problem?

Thank you

"PL" wrote in message
Hi

Just want to know how to add the short horizontal line above the footer
in
MS word. Thank you.
Example:

Main Text

__________

Source of these articles... ...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jules[_3_] Jules[_3_] is offline

If you have only a 1 page document - insert a page break (CTRL Enter) so you
create a 2nd page. You have Different First Page turned on in tools options
(which is good) and you need to repeat what you just did for the first page
insert the Line Separator for page 2. With Different First Page you always
need to set your second page Hdr/Ftr/Footnotes and save the template. Then
delete the page break and resave your template. Whenever you use this
document template or document and the second page is created as you type the
settings you have set will display - such as page numbers, footnote
separates and the like.
Hope that helps.

"PL" wrote in message
Hi

Just want to know how to add the short horizontal line above the
footer
in
MS word. Thank you.
Example:

Main Text

__________

Source of these articles... ...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

The footnote separator only shows on pages with actual footnotes. Also note
that if a footnote continues on the following page, the second part of the
footnote will have a footnote continuation separator, which must be
formatted separately via the footnotes pane.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"PL" wrote in message
Hi

Just want to know how to add the short horizontal line above the
footer
in
MS word. Thank you.
Example:

Main Text

Source of these articles... ...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It sounds as if the OP may actually want a border above the footer rather
than the footnote separator, in which case adding a Top border to the footer
paragraph may be the way to go.