Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Beeawwb Beeawwb is offline

Default Mail merge removes path information from hyperlink

Hi all,

Not sure what's going on here.

I followed the MS KB 912679 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/912679) artcile
on creating dynamic hyperlinks. I've got my Excel list of names and email
addresses from my corporate directory and a set of links (1 for each name) as
a "link" field.

Inserted my field as { HYPERLINK { MERGEFIELD "link" } \* MERGEFORMAT },
with "link" being the text displayed.

Now, here's the weird part. If I Crtl+Click in Word to follow the link...
the file opens. If I File-Send To-Mail recipient, the link works in email.
If I do the mail merge... the link removes all backslashes, and some words,
leaving the link as "G:PinDeptPinUserBissonnette" instead of
"G:\PinDept\PinUser\Timesheets\2008-2009\Robert Bissonnette 2008 - 2009.xls"

Any ideas how I can get this to work with the proper link? I'd hate to do
File-Send to- Mail Recipient for all 90+ users. Would defeat the whole
purpsoe of the mail merge!

Thanks in advance for your help,

-Robert
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Try unchecking - tools options general web options files update
link on save.
Do all the recipients have access to the linked folder in question?

Beeawwb wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Beeawwb Beeawwb is offline

Hi Graham,

Thanks for your reply. I tried updating that setting but it didn't change
the link not being correct. After some experimentation I did hit upon the
solution though. By changing all the \'s to \\'s, the formatting was
preserved in the merge.

Thanks again!

-Robert