Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mark Brockway Mark Brockway is offline

Default Accepting changees in Word 2003

I am a newbie using tracking changes to accept or reject edits.

I am having trouble figuring out how to accept or reject changes that were
done by various users. Those buttons are always greyed out. Do I have to be
the original owner of the document? If so, I can't figure which user ID I
have to be. I have changed PCs and used several different devices for the
editing. Of course, the Windows userids were all different on each of those
PCs. I am in a quandary. I don't want to have to cut and paste the whole
document in a new one and lose all the tracking info. Because there are
changes I want to reject.

I have seen the comments regarding defining the user name through the
options. I thought my user name in Office was the same on the different
devices.

Any help would be appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

To accept a tracked change, you must click within the change. Then click the
Accept Change icon (with the blue checkmark) on the Reviewing toolbar.

Correspondingly, to reject a change, click within the change, then click the
icon with the red cross.

If you only need to reject a few changes, reject them as described above.
You can then accept all the remaining changes in one operation: Click the
arrow to the right of the Accept Change icon and select €śAccept All Changes
in Document€ť.

See this article help on how track changes work:
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/trac...ngesWorks.html

Re. the user name:
The name shown in the individual change is the name defined in Word in Tools
Options User Information tab on the computer used by the person who made

the change at the time when the change was made. The name defined can be
changed at any time. Normally, changes can be made, accepted or rejected by
anybody unless the document has been saved with some kind of protection.

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg

"Mark Brockway" wrote:

I am a newbie using tracking changes to accept or reject edits.

I am having trouble figuring out how to accept or reject changes that were
done by various users. Those buttons are always greyed out. Do I have to be
the original owner of the document? If so, I can't figure which user ID I
have to be. I have changed PCs and used several different devices for the
editing. Of course, the Windows userids were all different on each of those
PCs. I am in a quandary. I don't want to have to cut and paste the whole
document in a new one and lose all the tracking info. Because there are
changes I want to reject.

I have seen the comments regarding defining the user name through the
options. I thought my user name in Office was the same on the different
devices.

Any help would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mark Brockway[_2_] Mark Brockway[_2_] is offline

Thank you Lene.

As it turned out, my issue was Document Protection. Protection was turned
on allowing only tracked changes. Once I turned off that restriction, I
could accept or reject. I had not worked with this feature before. My
document started out as a shell document. It must have been turned on before
it got to me to fill in the details.

Mark Brockway