Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Eric Eric is offline

Default "Find" finds text but "Replace" doesn't

Why would this happen?

I'm using Word 2003. The document contains revisions, and I'm in Final view,
so the revisions are not visible.

Why would Find find text but Replace doesn't? Shouldn't Find an Replace work
exactly the same way?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Did you type something into the Replace box?

Why do you mention the Track Changes? Find won't find Changes when the
Changes aren't visible.

On Jun 22, 8:19*am, Eric wrote:
Why would this happen?

I'm using Word 2003. The document contains revisions, and I'm in Final view,
so the revisions are not visible. *

Why would Find find text but Replace doesn't? Shouldn't Find an Replace work
exactly the same way?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Eric Eric is offline

Yes, I typed the same thing into the Replace box that I typed into the Find
box.

I mentioned Track Changes only in an attempt to mention anything which might
be relevant. This *shouldn't* be relevant, but perhaps is. My target text
*is* visible.

The weird thing is that Find finds it, but Replace does not. It's the same
target text, no special search options or formatting in the Find or Replace.
For both Find and Replace, I type it into the Find or Replace box. Yet Find
finds it, and Replace doesn't. I can't figure out why.

On Jun 22, 8:19 am, Eric wrote:
Why would this happen?

I'm using Word 2003. The document contains revisions, and I'm in Final view,
so the revisions are not visible.

Why would Find find text but Replace doesn't? Shouldn't Find an Replace work
exactly the same way?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Opinicus Opinicus is offline

"Eric" wrote

"Graham Mayor" wrote:
Do we have to guess what the find string is that you cannot find?

It's two spaces. Find finds it, Replace does not.

And what are you replacing it with?

--
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Eric Eric is offline

One space -- though that's irrelevant to the question I'm asking. The trouble
is that Replace does not find the target text, which is two spaces.

"Opinicus" wrote:

"Eric" wrote

"Graham Mayor" wrote:
Do we have to guess what the find string is that you cannot find?

It's two spaces. Find finds it, Replace does not.

And what are you replacing it with?

--
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Eric,

It becomes relevant when folks are attempting to duplicate the behavior with the same conditions and steps.

In creating a document in Word 2003 that had two spaces already in some places in it and adding two spaces by typing in other cases,
then putting the Review toolbar into final display mode for me Replace handled all of the 2-spaces to 1-space changes.

Was the text typed in or pasted from the web or another document, or ??? Is there a specific font used or style formatting applied?

============
"Eric" wrote in message ...
One space -- though that's irrelevant to the question I'm asking. The trouble
is that Replace does not find the target text, which is two spaces.
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Replace doesn't *find* anything. It holds the text that will be inserted in
place whatever Find has found. So in your case I'm guessing you want

Find what: spacespace
Replace with: space

To get rid of all multiple spaces, you need to run the find and replace again
until Word can't find any double spaces.

PamC

Eric wrote:
One space -- though that's irrelevant to the question I'm asking. The trouble
is that Replace does not find the target text, which is two spaces.

Do we have to guess what the find string is that you cannot find?

It's two spaces. Find finds it, Replace does not.

And what are you replacing it with?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Eric Eric is offline

Yes, that's what I did. Nothing unusual, just the straightforward Find, which
worked, and then a straightforward Replace, which didn't work.

I used Find (control-F, or Edit/Find) with
Find what:spacespace

It found many instances of two spaces.

I then used Replace (control-H, or Edit/Replace) with:
Find what:spacespace
Replace:space

Replace could not find the double-spaces that Find had just found.

Eric wrote:
One space -- though that's irrelevant to the question I'm asking. The trouble
is that Replace does not find the target text, which is two spaces.

Do we have to guess what the find string is that you cannot find?

It's two spaces. Find finds it, Replace does not.

And what are you replacing it with?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Eric Eric is offline

I've figured out Word is doing. It still seems incorrect to me, but at least
I now see what's happening.

Using an example:

In the text I have "abc" (i.e., the letters a,b,c). I turn on Track Changes
and delete the b. In Final Showing Markup view I see abc, with b
struck-through. I do a Find, with Find What: ac, and Find does not find the
target, which is what I expect. Also, Replace fails to find the target.

I then change to Final view. Now Find finds the ac, and Replace doesn't.

This seems incorrect to me. In my opinion, Find and Replace should work
exactly the same in what they find or don't find. (Obviously, Replace also
has the capability of replacing the target text, once found.) But they don't.

I've learned something.

"Eric" wrote in message ...
One space -- though that's irrelevant to the question I'm asking. The trouble
is that Replace does not find the target text, which is two spaces.
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I agree that this is bug-like. But it sounds to me as if you're getting
extra spaces when you delete text that you would not get if you were using
some "smart" feature or other. Both on the Edit tab of Tools | Options and
in the "Smart cut andpaste" settings, there are some settings that might
result in those extra spaces being deleted. This "smart" behavior still not
infallible (I have issues about the way it behaves around parentheses), but
it does help.

"Eric" wrote in message
One space -- though that's irrelevant to the question I'm asking. The
trouble
is that Replace does not find the target text, which is two spaces.
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Eric Eric is offline

That may be true, and thanks for the reminder. But to me the problem is
independent of this.

I have always assumed that Find and Replace work exactly the same, as to
what they find and don't find. But I've now discovered that they work
differently: in this case, Find finds something, and Replace doesn't,
although I'm putting identical target text in the Find What box.

If Find finds a target and Replace doesn't, to me that's a problem in itself.

"Eric" wrote in message
One space -- though that's irrelevant to the question I'm asking. The
trouble
is that Replace does not find the target text, which is two spaces.
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

OK. In the Find and Replace dialog, Click the more button. Make sure all
the check boxes (Match case, etc.) are clear; that the box after Search in:
says document; and the one after Search: says all. Also make sure there's
no formatting such as bold, under the find what box.

These descriptions may be a bit off. I don't have W2003 loaded, and W2007 is
a little bit different (for example, it does not have Search in).

Many people say that the Word's find function gets hung up and won't find
things that are clearly there. They solve this by shutting down Word and
starting it again. I'm not sure that this has ever happened to me. I find
that I've usually forgotten to clear the boxes and formatting or that Word
has moved into a part of the document that has no result (headers and text
boxes--is that right, experts?). Of course, restarting Word does clear the
boxes and formatting and such. Just takes a little longer.

A couple more things.
-Check to make sure that all of your spaces *are* spaces (and not
nonbreaking spaces--those little circles that show up when show hidden
characters is on).

-Run the find & replace in final view, not final showing markup.

Hope this helps,
PamC

Eric wrote:
Yes, that's what I did. Nothing unusual, just the straightforward Find, which
worked, and then a straightforward Replace, which didn't work.

I used Find (control-F, or Edit/Find) with
Find what:spacespace

It found many instances of two spaces.

I then used Replace (control-H, or Edit/Replace) with:
Find what:spacespace
Replace:space

Replace could not find the double-spaces that Find had just found.

Replace doesn't *find* anything. It holds the text that will be inserted in
place whatever Find has found. So in your case I'm guessing you want

[quoted text clipped - 15 lines]

And what are you replacing it with?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Just a couple of points he

1. Searching for a space will actually find nonbreaking spaces as well as
ordinary ones.

2. Eric *is* searching in Final view; that's the issue. The spaces he's
looking for are separated by deleted text. This doesn't seem to prevent Word
from finding the two spaces as long as he's only looking, but it does
prevent replacement.

The more I think about this, the more logical it is, really. In order to
replace the two spaces with one, Word would have to make some decision about
the deleted text that separates them, and the logical result would be to
delete it, but until that change is accepted, it can't actually be finally
deleted. I think that's the issue here.

Eric wrote:
Yes, that's what I did. Nothing unusual, just the straightforward Find,
which
worked, and then a straightforward Replace, which didn't work.

I used Find (control-F, or Edit/Find) with
Find what:spacespace

It found many instances of two spaces.

I then used Replace (control-H, or Edit/Replace) with:
Find what:spacespace
Replace:space

Replace could not find the double-spaces that Find had just found.

Replace doesn't *find* anything. It holds the text that will be inserted
in
place whatever Find has found. So in your case I'm guessing you want

[quoted text clipped - 15 lines]

And what are you replacing it with?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I don't understand why Eric keeps saying that "Replace" doesn't find
things. It isn't :"Replace"'s job to find things; it's Replace's job
to Replace them after they're found.

And of course a sequence of two spaces doesn't exist until the marked-
for-deletion material between them is actually deleted!

But you're right about "Smart Find" -- Track Changes, for me, always
includes the following space when I make a change to a word. I have
Smart Find always turned on, but not the one that keeps you from
selecting less than a whole word.

Eric wrote:
Yes, that's what I did. Nothing unusual, just the straightforward Find,
which
worked, and then a straightforward Replace, which didn't work.

I used Find (control-F, or Edit/Find) with
Find what:spacespace

It found many instances of two spaces.

I then used Replace (control-H, or Edit/Replace) with:
Find what:spacespace
Replace:space

Replace could not find the double-spaces that Find had just found.

Replace doesn't *find* anything. It holds the text that will be inserted
in
place whatever Find has found. *So in your case I'm guessing you want
[quoted text clipped - 15 lines]

And what are you replacing it with?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Suzanne, I agree with you completely about your point 2. I was so caught up
in his saying the replace couldn't "find" the spaces that I didn't
interpret it as meaning that it didn't replace the two spaces--which, as you
say, is perfectly understandable when there are deletions between the spaces.

And you are right about point 1 too, except if you are searching using wild
cards, which is what I most often do. In fact I rely on Word not finding my
combinations of NB space and regular space when I run my multiple space
removing macro. Word is such a tricky program.

Thanks for setting me straight.

PamC

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Just a couple of points he

1. Searching for a space will actually find nonbreaking spaces as well as
ordinary ones.

2. Eric *is* searching in Final view; that's the issue. The spaces he's
looking for are separated by deleted text. This doesn't seem to prevent Word
from finding the two spaces as long as he's only looking, but it does
prevent replacement.

The more I think about this, the more logical it is, really. In order to
replace the two spaces with one, Word would have to make some decision about
the deleted text that separates them, and the logical result would be to
delete it, but until that change is accepted, it can't actually be finally
deleted. I think that's the issue here.

OK. In the Find and Replace dialog, Click the more button. Make sure
all

[quoted text clipped - 49 lines]

And what are you replacing it with?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I use wildcards so rarely (and so ineptly) that I wasn't aware that spaces
are treated differently. Thanks for enlightening me.

As for the replacement, Bob Buckland performed a number of diagnostic tests
with results too complex to even read about, much less report, but I think
we can all agree that Word's behavior is not illogical even though it is
(initially) puzzling.

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Duane[_2_] Duane[_2_] is offline

OK, I have the same problem in 2007.

I'm searching for ^p^t (paragraph character followed by tab character).
On the "Find" tab, it finds them all. Go to the "Replace" tab, click the
"Find next" button, and it finds none.

I'm not using (never use) Track Changes, and all the criteria and options
are identical. I've closed and re-opened the document.

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Duane