Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Studebaker Studebaker is offline

Default Field to enter name which will populate throughout doc via REF fie

I have a document with a subject line that contains a patient's name
Ex: Subject: (First Name) (Last Name)

I've bookmarked the first name and the last name from the subject line
separately (I've called them FirstName and LastName respectively). I have REF
fields throughout the document where the patient's name will appear
(sometimes the patients first and last name will appear together and sometime
just the last name, i.e. Mr. (Last Name))

Can I put a certain kind of field or fields in the subject line so when I
enter the patient's name it will automatically bookmark the first name and
last separately so that the REF fields in the body of the document will pick
it up?
(I don't think I want to use the ASK or FILL-IN field with the pop-up box
b/c I don't know how to update it so it updates the doc automatically
everytime I open the doc to create a letter to a new patient.)
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You could use a textbox FormField, but that will require that the document
be protected for forms which may impose some restrictions that you would
rather not be imposed.

See the following page of fellow MVP Greg Maxey's website:

http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Repeating_Data.htm

The second method in that article deals with the above suggestion, but if
the protection is a problem for you, you may want to use one of the other
methods that Greg discusses in that article.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Studebaker" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

I would use the ASK field! To update it, you can then add the sample update
macro in the following link to a toolbar button in normal.dot, or save your
document as a template and save that macro in it, renamed AutoNew.
http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm which will cause the Ask field to
pop up each time you create a new document from it.