Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jessica Weissman Jessica Weissman is offline

Default Selectively print style definitions

I know about the option to print the style definitions in a document or
template. What I need is to do it selectively, so I get only the styles in
use or the custom list of styles. Printing the style definitions includes
all those HTML and strange list styles I don't use.

Even better would be a way to extract the list to a spreadsheet so I can
compare the styles in different templates easily. The built-in print cuts
off after a few lines, so I don't see the tab settings on some of the styles
with lots of definitional items.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The technique usually suggested for getting an editable file out of these
"Print what" options is to set the printer to a Generic/Text Only one and
then choose "Print to file." This creates a text file that is (by a long
stretch of the imagination) editable.

"Jessica Weissman" Jessica wrote in
message ...
I know about the option to print the style definitions in a document or
template. What I need is to do it selectively, so I get only the styles
in
use or the custom list of styles. Printing the style definitions includes
all those HTML and strange list styles I don't use.

Even better would be a way to extract the list to a spreadsheet so I can
compare the styles in different templates easily. The built-in print cuts
off after a few lines, so I don't see the tab settings on some of the
styles
with lots of definitional items.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Another method is to save system information in Excel.

In W2003 click Help About MS Word System Info. Click the plus sign next
to Office Applications MS Word 2003. Select Styles. Copy (Ctrl+A Ctrl+C)
and paste the list into Excel.

The first line of each font info group has most of the characteristics
separated by commas. So you can parse it using Excel's text to columns
feature.

Even so, there could be a lot of manual cleanup, but it should be relatively
easy to delete styles you don't want. And since everything is systematic, a
macro might help. After you see what you can get from this method, perhaps
you can ask for help in a VBA or Excel group.

Let us know what you find out. A lot of us could use this information.

PamC

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
The technique usually suggested for getting an editable file out of these
"Print what" options is to set the printer to a Generic/Text Only one and
then choose "Print to file." This creates a text file that is (by a long
stretch of the imagination) editable.

I know about the option to print the style definitions in a document or
template. What I need is to do it selectively, so I get only the styles

[quoted text clipped - 7 lines]
styles
with lots of definitional items.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Once upon a time Back in Word 97 Microsoft included a file, Macros8.dot that included an interesting macro/form set named
SuperDocStatistics.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/201626
It don't recall that feature being included in Word 2000 or later, nor does it appear to be available for download from Microsoft.
It can examine documents and created 'reports' (Word document tables) of selected activities/content, including a list, details of
and the report of Styles in Use.

Many parts of the set still work in Word 2007 (including, it appears, for example the styles in use part), while others (Grammar
stats, table check and a couple of others don't work reliably, but I'm guessing that one of the Word MVP folks (or others) who
frequent the group here and are wizards at macros, could perhaps be persuaded to have a look to see about get it going again to work
fully on current Word versions.

===============

--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ken[_5_] Ken[_5_] is offline

It is relatively straight forward to write VBA code to list styles and
their properties. To select only styles that are used then you can use
the VBA property Style.InUse which is true if the style has been used
in the document. However, if a style has been, but is no longer used
in a document then the InUse property is still true. You can also
differentiate between built-in and user created styles.
To get a list of styles that are actually used in a document then a
bit more effort is required. See:

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...a97f0d78e67039