Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
J Austin J Austin is offline

Default Problem with inserting page numbers

I just created a new Word 2007 document and copy/pasted (without link)
several ranges from Excel 2007. They have displayed as tables (which is what
I wanted). However, when I go to insert page number/bottom of page or any of
the other options, it appears it is trying to insert a selection/link. All
my pastes were direct and did not try and link but it appears Word believes I
still have a selection/link active. I've gone to a new page in Word and
typed in text to be sure I was out of the pasted tables.

Any ideas,

J Austin
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?SiBBdXN0aW4=?=,

I just created a new Word 2007 document and copy/pasted (without link)
several ranges from Excel 2007. They have displayed as tables (which is what
I wanted). However, when I go to insert page number/bottom of page or any of
the other options, it appears it is trying to insert a selection/link. All
my pastes were direct and did not try and link but it appears Word believes I
still have a selection/link active. I've gone to a new page in Word and
typed in text to be sure I was out of the pasted tables.

Can you describe more precisely what Word is doing that makes you say "However,
when I go to insert page number/bottom of page or any of the other options, it
appears it is trying to insert a selection/link."? What's Word doing?

If I
- copy a set of cells in Excel
- switch back to Word
- paste
- From the Insert tab in the Ribbon, choose Page Number/Bottom of Page, and
select and entry

Word goes to the Footer region of the document and displays a page number.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
J Austin J Austin is offline

Cindy,
When I select insert/page number/bottom a window pops up with a heading
General, and in small print "Error - not a valid link". Then in grayed out
print at bottom of this window it says "Save selection as page number". This
is why I think Word believes I have a selection somewhere (which I don't) and
want to past it as a page number. I have been doing a lot of pasting from
Excel, as I mentioned, into Word, and it would appear that this action has
not been cleared and Word is expecting more pasting. I've closed everything
out and even when I open Word without anything else and a blank page I get
the same response. I'm thinking I have a corrupted Word program and may need
to repair (hopefully not re-install).

Thanks for the response and any other ideas on how I might clear the error.

J Austin

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?SiBBdXN0aW4=?=,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?SiBBdXN0aW4=?=,

When I select insert/page number/bottom a window pops up with a heading
General, and in small print "Error - not a valid link". Then in grayed out
print at bottom of this window it says "Save selection as page number". This
is why I think Word believes I have a selection somewhere (which I don't) and
want to past it as a page number. I have been doing a lot of pasting from
Excel, as I mentioned, into Word, and it would appear that this action has
not been cleared and Word is expecting more pasting. I've closed everything
out and even when I open Word without anything else and a blank page I get
the same response. I'm thinking I have a corrupted Word program and may need
to repair (hopefully not re-install).

Sorry about the late response. I got very busy last week and didn't have a
chance to go through the newsgroups.

"Save selection as page number" is always in that menu, and is greyed out unless
there is a selection, so I don't think that's the issue.

More likely, the problem is with the BuildingBlocks.dotx file that should be
providing the page number selections. I've never seen this particular message
("not a valid link")...

If you go to Insert/Quick Parts/Building Block Organizer, what happens?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
J Austin J Austin is offline

Cindy,
The first message is "Word cannot open this document template
(C:\Users\John\...\Building Blocks.dotx" If I say OK the menu drops down and
Building Blocks Organizer is there. Selecting this optionOpens a dual window
with three entrys on the left side - "JR, AutText, General, Normal.dotm";
"John, AutoText,General,Normal.dotm"; and "*, PageNum...,General,
Normal.dotm". Have never seen these screens previously, and not sure what
they represent. When I select these selections, it appears to put the Name
onto the right side blank sheet with the same Name at the bottom. Same
response for JR and John. When I select the "*", another error window
appears "Word is unable to create a link to the object you specified. Please
insert the object directly into your file without creating a link." Very
confusing.

Thanks for following up.

J Austin

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?SiBBdXN0aW4=?=,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi John,

OK, I think it's that first message you're seeing now that's key.

Quit Word. If you go to that Vista file path do you find the template it
mentions?

If you do, try renaming it and then moving it to a "neutral" folder (something
not asociated with Word or Office).

Now start Word again and go back to this same dialog box. If everything works
the way it ought, that message should disappear AND you should get a lot more
entries in the list than you're seeing. As a test, try inserting an entry from
the PageNum... Category (these are the same content that should appear in the
button). If that works, try the button.

The BuildingBlocks.dotx can get damaged, making its content inaccessible.
Removing it will cause Word to recreate the template (same as for Normal.dot)

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
J Austin J Austin is offline

Cindy,
The error message does not display the entire path and does not display on
hover. I've searched the computer for normal.dot* and BuildingBlocks.dotx
and nothing is found. I believe I have turned on the options to see all
files and their extensions. I must be missing something very basic.

I've just Googled the file and found what its path should be. I finally got
access to all my folders and files. Somehow, all my permissions got re-set
(I never changed anything for several years - whenever Vista came out).
Anyhow, I followed your instructions, and now everything seems to be working
normal.

Appreciate the help

Thanks,

J Austin

"Cindy M." wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi John,

Glad you managed to track it down!

And thanks for taking a moment to post what it all involved.

If you have a moment, and can still find it, it would probably help others with
a similar problem if you could post the link you found on Google with the path
information?