Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Kevin Byrne Kevin Byrne is offline

Default Word 2007 Database

I have about 6 mailmerge basic letters linked to a database to answer
queries, then request deposits, send receipts etc. to holiday guests. The
database is viewed as a card-index and I select and update individual records
at each stage. Have tried to migrate from Windows XP & Word 2003 to Windows
Vista and Word 2007 - but the database will only appear as a huge table. How
can I make the individual entries appear in card-index format? Am badly
stuck.

Enjoy the Hebrides - see www.colonsay.org.uk
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Hi Kevin,

Can you list the steps you used in Word 2003 to access the database records in Card-index form and the file type the database is in?

===============
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Kevin Byrne Kevin Byrne is offline

Hi Bob - I have been using this method of handling bookings for a long time,
just keep migrating to newer versions of Word and Windows. It may have been
with an earlier version, but believe I probably started with Word Version 6.0
(1993). The Microsoft User's Guide Chapters 29 and 30 showed me how, page
686 and onward is "Modifying Information in a Data Source" and gives an
illustration of the sort of "card" I like. I am not sure how to discover the
file-type it uses - but under properties it say it is Microsoft Office Word
Document and that it opens with Microsoft Word.
I can see that the database is fine and still works with the template
documents, it is just that I am seeing it in the wrong format for editing the
actual records. I imagine that there is some way to change the "view" but
the only book I have is Steve Johnson's "Brilliant - Word 2007" and there is
no obvious reference to this.
Many thanks for your interest - Kevin
--

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" wrote:

Hi Kevin,

Can you list the steps you used in Word 2003 to access the database records in Card-index form and the file type the database is in?

===============
"Kevin Byrne" wrote in message ...
I have about 6 mailmerge basic letters linked to a database to answer
queries, then request deposits, send receipts etc. to holiday guests. The
database is viewed as a card-index and I select and update individual records
at each stage. Have tried to migrate from Windows XP & Word 2003 to Windows
Vista and Word 2007 - but the database will only appear as a huge table. How
can I make the individual entries appear in card-index format? Am badly
stuck.
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Customize the Quick Access Toolbar by adding the original Mail Merge Helper
that goes back to earlier versions of Word. You will find it in the All
Commands group that you can select via the Choose commands from pulldown.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Kevin Byrne Kevin Byrne is offline

Many thanks Doug - that suggestion introduced me to a whole new range of
stuff, and I added the Mail Merge Helper as suggested. Unfortunately, all the
new button does is to offer me three steps towards an actual mail-merge, but
it does not alter the "view" of the records. All I see is a list of about
100 names, addresses and various individual record details in the form of a
gigantic spreadsheet. Am in despair - have had new PC cluttering up the
office since March but cannot use it like this. According to the original
manual, I want to "View and Modify Data Records in the Data Form dialog box";
I used to do that as soon as I had opened my template letter. If I wanted to
view the data as a table, that option was always available by merely opening
the database in its own right. Am grateful for your help so far - perhaps
there is some extra toolbar I need?
best wishes - Kevin

--

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

In order to make the edit tools available to the dialog, select the data
source name in the lower window of the dialog - this is illustrated for that
dialog at http://www.gmayor.com/merge_labels_with_word_2007.htm