Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] weircolin@googlemail.com is offline

Default Form Cross References

Hi there

I am using Word 97 and I am wondering if it is possilbe to use a cross
reference without having to lock the rest of the document so it can be
edited also?

Cheers

Colin
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

See the Repeating Data item on fellow MVP Greg Maxey's website at:

http://gregmaxey.mvps

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

wrote in message
Hi there

I am using Word 97 and I am wondering if it is possilbe to use a cross
reference without having to lock the rest of the document so it can be
edited also?

Cheers

Colin

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Is the problem that cross-references to text form fields don't update in a
protected document? If so, do the following: Unprotect the document, and
then double-click a cross-referenced form field. In the Text Form Field
Options dialog box, check the "Calculate on exit" option. Click OK. Repeat
for additional form fields. When you are done, reprotect the document.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

wrote in message
Hi there

I am using Word 97 and I am wondering if it is possilbe to use a cross
reference without having to lock the rest of the document so it can be
edited also?

Cheers

Colin

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] weircolin@googlemail.com is offline

Hi

No, the cross references work fine. Its just so the other text in the
document can be edited if need be as not all the documents are
identical other than the cross references.

Colin
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

If the text should be editable, why are you using a protected form at all?

Note that if you are saying that *parts* of the document should be editable,
you can add a Word section and leave it unprotected.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

wrote in message
Hi

No, the cross references work fine. Its just so the other text in the
document can be edited if need be as not all the documents are
identical other than the cross references.

Colin

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] weircolin@googlemail.com is offline

Thanks

The reason I have protected it is that it's the only way I can get the
cross references to function.

How do I add a Word Section?

Colin
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You insert section breaks via Insert | Break, but note that you don't have
to use protected documents for cross-references to work.

On the contrary, in unprotected documents you can insert cross-references to
several different items (for example, built-in headings, outline-numbered
paragraphs, captions, or manually inserted bookmarks) via Insert |
Cross-reference.

The references can then be updated either manually, for example by selecting
the whole document and pressing F9, or semi-automatically, for example on
print or when switching to Print Preview and back.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

wrote in message
Thanks

The reason I have protected it is that it's the only way I can get the
cross references to function.

How do I add a Word Section?

Colin

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

wrote in message

Thanks

The reason I have protected it is that it's the only way I can get the
cross references to function.

How do I add a Word Section?

Colin- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for that, much appreciated