Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sue Sue is offline

Default Autotext/Building Blocks

I've created building blocks using text within documents which I have been
using successfully but this morning when I press F3 to insert nothing is
happening? Why is the quick insert not working today? Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

In which template did you save the Building Block? Are you sure that
template is currently accessible to Word?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Sue" wrote in message
news
I've created building blocks using text within documents which I have been
using successfully but this morning when I press F3 to insert nothing is
happening? Why is the quick insert not working today? Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sue Sue is offline

Hi Stefan

I saved them in Word 2007 as I've been using them and as I said yesterday I
was using them fine.

Hope you can help. x

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

In which template did you save the Building Block? Are you sure that
template is currently accessible to Word?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Sue" wrote in message
news
I've created building blocks using text within documents which I have been
using successfully but this morning when I press F3 to insert nothing is
happening? Why is the quick insert not working today? Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Sue,

By default, when you save a building block Word suggests the Building
Blocks.dotx template. Note, however, that building blocks can be stored in
any template. For building blocks to the available at any time, they must be
stored in Building Blocks.dotx, in another template in the building blocks
folder, in normal.dotm, or in a template in Word's Startup folder.

If you look in Insert tab | Quick Parts | Building Blocks Organizer, can you
see the building block there?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

In which template did you save the Building Block? Are you sure that
template is currently accessible to Word?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Sue" wrote in message
news
I've created building blocks using text within documents which I have
been
using successfully but this morning when I press F3 to insert nothing
is
happening? Why is the quick insert not working today? Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sue Sue is offline

Hi Stefan

Yes, all my building blocks can be seen in the list in the organizer. What
am I doing wrong then?

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

In which template did you save the Building Block? Are you sure that
template is currently accessible to Word?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Sue" wrote in message
news I've created building blocks using text within documents which I have
been
using successfully but this morning when I press F3 to insert nothing
is
happening? Why is the quick insert not working today? Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Look at the status bar. Do you see a message there as you press F3? Word
should let you know if you have typed (the first few characters of) a name
that is not a unique AutoText/building block name. If several entries have
similar names, you will have to type as many characters as required for Word
to know which one you are trying to insert.

You may also want to make sure that F3 is actually assigned to the
InsertAutoText command: Click the Office button, and then click Word
Options. In the Customize category, click the Customize button to open the
Customize Keyboard dialog box. Place the insertion point in the "Press new
shortcut key" box, and type F3. What, if anything, is listed at "Currently
assigned to"?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Sue" wrote in message
news I've created building blocks using text within documents which I
have
been
using successfully but this morning when I press F3 to insert
nothing
is
happening? Why is the quick insert not working today? Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sue Sue is offline

Hi Stefan

Although it states that F3 is assigned to insert Autotext, it still does not
work. However, I have managed to assign another shortcut which does insert
my building blocks now. I tried removing and then re-assigning F3 but it
wouldn't let me. I tried resetting to default but still didn't work.

Thanks for all your help. If you can think how to solve the F3 thing,
please let me know.
Thanks again

"Sue" wrote in message
news I've created building blocks using text within documents which I
have
been
using successfully but this morning when I press F3 to insert
nothing
is
happening? Why is the quick insert not working today? Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Well, I'm glad you managed to assign an additional shortcut key, and that
it's working for you.

I'm not sure why F3 doesn't work, though. Perhaps the key assignment
conflicts with an add-in? Did you install something recently?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Sue" wrote in message
news I've created building blocks using text within documents which I
have
been
using successfully but this morning when I press F3 to insert
nothing
is
happening? Why is the quick insert not working today? Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sue Sue is offline

Hi Stefan/Graham

Just to let you know, that I checked what I had installed and yes I had
installed an dictation programme which uses F3 as a function. I deleted that
option and now F3 works fine in Word. thanks for all your help.

I did have another query which I've started as a new thread if you could
help again!!! Many thanks.

"Sue" wrote in message
news I've created building blocks using text within documents which I
have
been
using successfully but this morning when I press F3 to insert
nothing
is
happening? Why is the quick insert not working today? Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

I'm glad you got it sorted!

--