Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
.B:artek. .B:artek. is offline

Default Table of contents (ToC)

Hi there,

My chapters' headers look like that:

1.1.
Chapter name

Chapter number (1.1.) and Chapter name are two different styles and are in
two lines. How to have them in one line in ToC just to look like that:

1.1. Chapter name

I've racked my brain but with no success. The only thing I've managed to
think was placing a white coloured text "1.1. Chapter name" and mark it as a
ToC's header but it would be only double hassle with updating titles and a
partial loss of automation while creating the ToC.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

--
..B:artek.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
.B:artek. .B:artek. is offline

Suzanne S. Barnhill wyskrobał(a):
See http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/T...mberedHeadings

Thanks, that partially solved my problem.

But what if I do not have only a plain numbered list (like 1., 2., 3., etc.)
but a leveled one:

1.
1.1.
1.2.
1.2.1.
1.3.
2.
etc.

I managed to set up multiple levels of numbering but I cannot make the
numbering of the deeper level (e.g. 1.2.1.) inherit all but the last digit
from the level above. I mean here only the last digit is grey (set
automatically) when I modify the numbering options.

--
..B:artek.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
.B:artek. .B:artek. is offline

Suzanne S. Barnhill wyskrobał(a):
Are we talking about the numbering in the document or in the TOC?

Well, in TOC As I mentioned earlier, I have headings without numbering
and want to have them numbered in the TOC. Ordinary numbering (1., 2., 3.,
etc) in the TOC was explained on your website (thanks!). But what if I want
to have numbering in the TOC done like that:

1.
1.1.
1.2.
1.2.1.
1.3.
2.
etc.

To understand me better please read this and my last post.

--
..B:artek.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Then you would apply outline numbering to the TOC styles just as you would
to any other, following the instructions at
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html. But if your
headings are numbered in the document, the TOC should pick up the numbering.

".B:artek." wrote in message
Suzanne S. Barnhill wyskrobał(a):
Are we talking about the numbering in the document or in the TOC?

Well, in TOC As I mentioned earlier, I have headings without numbering
and want to have them numbered in the TOC. Ordinary numbering (1., 2., 3.,
etc) in the TOC was explained on your website (thanks!). But what if I
want to have numbering in the TOC done like that:

1.
1.1.
1.2.
1.2.1.
1.3.
2.
etc.

To understand me better please read this and my last post.

--
.B:artek.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
.B:artek. .B:artek. is offline

Suzanne S. Barnhill wyskrobał(a):
Then you would apply outline numbering to the TOC styles just as you
would to any other, following the instructions at
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html. But
if your headings are numbered in the document, the TOC should pick up
the numbering.

Headings are not numbered. At least Word does not assume that they are - see
my first post. Numbering uses another style than heading's name.

OK, I'll try to explain my problem using different words.

My headings, which I want to put into the TOC, look like that:

1.
Chapter

1.1.
Chapter

1.2.
Chapter

1.2.1.
Chapter

1.2.2.
Chapter

1.3.
Chapter
etc.

Each level (1., 1.x., 1.x.x., etc.) uses a different style both in the
document body as well as in the TOC and both for the numbering and chapter's
name.

Putting chapters' names Chapter into the TOC was no problem. The problem
was letting Word assing proper numbering to each of the chapters.

What I achieved so far is that chapters in the TOC are numbered. However
it's been done partly manually. I'll describe you why.

I managed to automatically number the first level (1., 2., etc.). If I put
something between Chapter 1 and 2 in the document body and mark it using a
proper style, Chapter 2 becomes Chapter 3 - that's understood and OK.

But now the second level (1.1., 1.2., 1.3. etc.). It also goes automatically
if I put something between e.g. 1.2. and 1.3. If I put someting before
Chapter 1, the "old" Chapter 1 becomes 2 - OK. But the second level does not
change its primary digit. As a result I get something like that (comparing
to the situation depicted above):

1.
Chapter

2.
Chapter

1.1.
Chapter

1.2.
Chapter
etc.

The same happens with the third level (1.2.1., 1.2.2. etc.) and so on.

In other words, when I try to set up numbering format (TOC Edit | Modify |
TOC 2 | Modify | Format | Numbering | Define new numbering format -- as for
Word 2007) only the last digit is greyed out which means that it is set
automatically. Previous digit or two previous digits are fixed by me. That's
why I can get 1.2.x numbering instead if x.x.x., where two first digits are
set in accordance with numbering of levels above.

Hope this will help you to understand my problem. Thank you for your
patience.

--
..B:artek.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you are applying outline numbering to TOC 1, TOC 2, and TOC 3 styles and
linking the outline list to the styles just as you would do for heading,
then the numbering should work the same as it would for headings. Make sure
that you check the boxes for restarting numbering after the next higher
level.

".B:artek." wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
.B:artek. .B:artek. is offline

Suzanne S. Barnhill wyskrobał(a):
If you are applying outline numbering to TOC 1, TOC 2, and TOC 3
styles and linking the outline list to the styles just as you would
do for heading, then the numbering should work the same as it would
for headings. Make sure that you check the boxes for restarting
numbering after the next higher level.

No success

I think I will give it up. My 10-years Word experience seems to be nothing
when it comes to numbering within the TOC. It wouldn't be a problem if this
was ordinary text numbering or creating TOC with numbered headers.

Anyway thank you for your help.

--
..B:artek.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hello B.

..B:artek. wrote:
No success

it's really no different from numbering a heading style (simply number
the TOC style).

How to control bullets in Microsoft Word (by Shauna Kelly)
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/bull...olbullets.html
How to create numbered headings or outline numbering in your Microsoft
Word document (by Shauna Kelly)

I think I will give it up. My 10-years Word experience seems to be
nothing when it comes to numbering within the TOC. It wouldn't be a
problem if this was ordinary text numbering or creating TOC with
numbered headers.

Don't despair: you can become a Word MVP and not have a clear concept of
how numbering in Word really works ... ;-)

Of course, you could try to setup the headings as numbered and hide
their numbering (and cross-reference on it in the paragraph above) if
you really want to keep this setup ... Then you would not have to number
the TOC styles ...

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
.B:artek. .B:artek. is offline

Robert M. Franz (RMF) wyskrobał(a):
Of course, you could try to setup the headings as numbered and hide
their numbering (and cross-reference on it in the paragraph above) if
you really want to keep this setup ... Then you would not have to
number the TOC styles ...

Could you please give me more guides on how to hide numbering in headings
and keep it in the TOC? I have two ideas: hide (Font settings | Hide)
numbering, but then it hides in the TOC too, and make numbering in headings
have the same color as background (i.e. white).

--
..B:artek.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

..B:artek. wrote:
Could you please give me more guides on how to hide numbering in
headings and keep it in the TOC? I have two ideas: hide (Font settings |
Hide) numbering, but then it hides in the TOC too, and make numbering in
headings have the same color as background (i.e. white).

yes, "white" seems to be the choice here.

As long as you are aware that it's a hack, this might actually work fine.

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |