Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
paul paul is offline

Default Pasting behind the cursor

When I have a numbered list set up, and then paste text, just after a number,
what happens is that Word inserts the text immediately BEFORE the number,
and as regular text, as opposed to part of the list. How can I change this
behavior?

See the image linked to he
http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/6374/cursorbi0.png

Before making this image, I placed the cursor right after the (h), where it
is in the image. Pasting my text, I would have thought, would have inserted
the stats about Rhode Island, CA, Russia, and Asia AFTER the letter (h), not
before.
--
Paul

MS Office Pro 2003
XP Home
Dell Inspiron 1501

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
paul paul is offline

Graham, thanks for the reply. I did what you said, and it strewed each line
of text onto its own number. For example, with Lines 1 and 2 already typed
in, and the cursor at line 3, it gave me text not only at line 3, but at
lines 4 through 8 as well. SO this is a start, but I'd still like something a
bit less awkward. Perhaps I should just paste it and then try to find a style
that will automatcially incorporate the text into the numbered list?

Yes that's it.
I can just paste the text into the doc, without forming a new list #. Then,
in teh style menu, there is an option that says "1. Numbered". Selecting the
text I just pasted in, and then selecting the style, inserted it into the
numbered list.

Graham, you're a genius.
--
Paul

MS Office Pro 2003
XP Home
Dell Inspiron 1501

Paul wrote:
When I have a numbered list set up, and then paste text, just after a
number, what happens is that Word inserts the text immediately
BEFORE the number, and as regular text, as opposed to part of the
list. How can I change this behavior?

See the image linked to he
http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/6374/cursorbi0.png

Before making this image, I placed the cursor right after the (h),
where it is in the image. Pasting my text, I would have thought,
would have inserted the stats about Rhode Island, CA, Russia, and
Asia AFTER the letter (h), not before.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The problem you are encountering is that you are inserting a block of text
that is formatted into several paragraphs. This is always an issue when you
copy others' work into your documents. See also
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/CleanWebText.htm

Paul wrote:
Graham, thanks for the reply. I did what you said, and it strewed
each line of text onto its own number. For example, with Lines 1 and
2 already typed in, and the cursor at line 3, it gave me text not
only at line 3, but at lines 4 through 8 as well. SO this is a start,
but I'd still like something a bit less awkward. Perhaps I should
just paste it and then try to find a style that will automatically
incorporate the text into the numbered list?

Yes that's it.
I can just paste the text into the doc, without forming a new list #.
Then, in the style menu, there is an option that says "1. Numbered".

Paul wrote:
When I have a numbered list set up, and then paste text, just after
a number, what happens is that Word inserts the text immediately
BEFORE the number, and as regular text, as opposed to part of the
list. How can I change this behavior?

See the image linked to he
http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/6374/cursorbi0.png

Before making this image, I placed the cursor right after the (h),
where it is in the image. Pasting my text, I would have thought,
would have inserted the stats about Rhode Island, CA, Russia, and
Asia AFTER the letter (h), not before.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
paul paul is offline

I'm not convinced its the formatting--even doing this inside the same
document, with the same exact formatting, gave me the same results--text
pasted behind the cursor.
--
Paul

MS Office Pro 2003