Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ember Ember is offline

Default Headings

In my searching to better understand lists in Word I continue to come across
people using the word "Header" or "Headings". I am confused, perhaps, as to
how these terms are being used. Are these strictly resigned to the different
levels in a list or do they have some other purpose?

My understanding of headings are those few identifier words that start a new
section or area of your document. Example:

Why I Am Confused (Heading 1)

Word Problems (Heading 2)

I am trying to just create a simple procedures manual that will explain to
new users how to operate our software program. (Body Tex)

I would like to create a simple way of forcing Word to ALWAYS restart
numbering for new proceedures. I have seen how I can modify a multilevel
list to associate the level 1 position with a style. I have done this and
linked level 1 to Heading 2, and level 2 to List Number.

Okay, so now I have typed in my data and would like to apply styles...I
select Heading 2 and select the Heading 2 style. I then select my list and
select List Number. What it does is changes the indentation of my Heading 2
to match the first line indentation of my list. Heading 2 style is set to be
left indent 0", but after applying the List Number style to the list below it
changes it.

So, I am wondering if I am using the "Heading" in its correct form. Should
my section "Headers" be associated with a different style name?

Totally Confused!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I would suggest that you make Heading 1 your Level 1 style, Heading 2 your
Level 2 style, and List Number your Level 3 style, even if Heading 1 and
Heading 2 don't have any numbering. Word assigns a built-in (and
unchangeable) outline level of Level 2 to Heading 2, so it's best to keep
the outline level and list level in synch.

You have correctly understood what a heading is. The term "header" refers to
text that repeats at the top of a page.

"Ember" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ember Ember is offline

Okay then, what comes first. Appling the Multilevel list style or the
Heading 1, List Number, etc. style?

I set my level 1 to be Heading 1 (I took all the Number Formatting and
Position options to zero or blank.) I did the same for level 2 (linked to
Heading 2), level 3 (linked to Heading 3), and level 4 (linked to List
Number).

When I apply the Heading 3 style it is still indenting it to match the first
line of my List Number style, even though the multilevel list settings are 0"
and the Heading 3 style is set to 0". This doesn't affect Headings 1 or 2,
only Heading 3.

What am I missing?

"Ember" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I suspect you may be using Word 2007, in which the procedure is going to be
a bit different, but the result is the same. Following the instructions at
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html, you create
a single list, with each level linked to a single style.

Where the problem may be arising is that in Word 2007, some of the list
formatting apparently comes from the List Paragraph style. You might want to
try modifying that and see what happens. Also, keep in mind that, even in
previous versions of Word, if a style is linked to a numbered list (even
without numbers) the indents must be defined through the Numbering dialog,
not the Paragraph dialog.

"Ember" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ember Ember is offline

Thanks! I have looked, and looked at the link you provided (as I have seen
it numerous times in previous posts) and are still struggling (thus this
post).

As for the linking and setting the indents, I did set them in the Numbering
dialog location which is why I am confussed. From what I have learned the
numbering properties will "override" style properties, thus the reasoning for
modifing the indents in the numbering dialog.

I am in Word 2007 and will try to modify the List Paragraph Style and see
where that gets me.

Thanks for your continued help!

"Ember" wrote in message
[...]

Outline numbering - headings and no-headings on same level VBMoron Microsoft Word Help 1 October 23rd 07 02:06 PM
Headings Daniel Microsoft Word Help 1 April 3rd 07 08:29 AM
Headings angryt Page Layout 1 February 1st 07 11:17 PM
Headings seyyah New Users 5 January 3rd 06 09:32 AM
Run-in Headings Henry in Texas Microsoft Word Help 2 September 22nd 05 03:26 PM