Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
singeredel singeredel is offline

Default Using keyboard shortcuts on Ribbon

Once a tab has been selected on the Ribbon by hitting "alt" and the
appropriate tab shortcut key, the tab still shows as being in the front of
the ribbon. Is there a way to access another shortcut on the same tab without
having to go through the whole "alt + tab key + shortcut key" routine every
time you want something else on the current tab? This is driving crazy not
being able to access another option on the same tab.

Thanks.
--
singeredel (Julie)
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying.

Suppose I want to access Orientation on the Page Layout tab, using the
keyboard.

I tap Alt P O.

Alt causes the shortcut letters to appear.

P activates the Page Layout Tab.

O shows the orientation choices.

What do you want to happen differently?

When you say "the tab still shows as being in front of the ribbon", isn't
that what you want? Tapping the P key (for example) exposes the Page Layout
ribbon. What do you want to happen instead?

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"singeredel" wrote in message
Once a tab has been selected on the Ribbon by hitting "alt" and the
appropriate tab shortcut key, the tab still shows as being in the front of
the ribbon. Is there a way to access another shortcut on the same tab
without
having to go through the whole "alt + tab key + shortcut key" routine
every
time you want something else on the current tab? This is driving crazy not
being able to access another option on the same tab.

Thanks.
--
singeredel (Julie)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
singeredel singeredel is offline

Using your example, if I choose Page Layout, Orientation using Alt + PO, and
then select Portrait, the shortcuts disappear. The Page Layout screen is
still in front, but if I want to access another option on the same Page
Layout tab, I seem to have to go through the whole Alt + PO + shortcut
routine all over again.

Is there no way to access the shortcuts on the same Page Layout tab without
repeating the whole Alt + PO + shortcut series all over again?

Thanks.
--
singeredel (Julie)

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?c2luZ2VyZWRlbA==?=,

Is there no way to access the shortcuts on the same Page Layout tab without
repeating the whole Alt + PO + shortcut series all over again?

No, not once you've used a command.

If you're in the "O" and change your mind (you haven't selected Portrait or
Landscape yet) then you can press ESC to go back up a level

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
singeredel singeredel is offline

I don't want go back up a level. I want to stay at the same level and use
more than one option in the same level.
--
singeredel

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?c2luZ2VyZWRlbA==?=,

Is there no way to access the shortcuts on the same Page Layout tab without
repeating the whole Alt + PO + shortcut series all over again?

No, not once you've used a command.

If you're in the "O" and change your mind (you haven't selected Portrait or
Landscape yet) then you can press ESC to go back up a level

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?c2luZ2VyZWRlbA==?=,

I don't want go back up a level. I want to stay at the same level and use
more than one option in the same level.

It's not possible. And it wasn't possible in earlier versions, either. When
you used a menu point, or closed a dialog box, you had to go back in.

If you need it often, assign the command to a keyboard shortcut.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
singeredel singeredel is offline

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately since you cannot create custom menus of
macros on the main ribbon, I had to use my old normal.dot template to get all
of my custom menus into Word 2007. These were then located in the "Add-Ins"
tab. I have a separate menu of macros for each client, so now I have an extra
level of keystrokes to first get to the add-ins menu and then activate the
menu on that tab and then select the macro shortcut.

I have to use the keyboard in my work. I cannot be stopping every few
seconds to pick up the mouse to do things. So this is a very cumbersome way
to access my macros. I do not find Word 2007 very friendly to those who
choose to use the keyboard shortcuts for everything.
--
singeredel (Julie)

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?c2luZ2VyZWRlbA==?=,

I don't want go back up a level. I want to stay at the same level and use
more than one option in the same level.

It's not possible. And it wasn't possible in earlier versions, either. When
you used a menu point, or closed a dialog box, you had to go back in.

If you need it often, assign the command to a keyboard shortcut.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you have custom toolbars on the Add-Ins tab, you can add them to the QAT
(only as a bundle, I'm afraid, but it's something).

[...]

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?c2luZ2VyZWRlbA==?=,

I don't want go back up a level. I want to stay at the same level and
use
more than one option in the same level.

It's not possible. And it wasn't possible in earlier versions, either.
When
you used a menu point, or closed a dialog box, you had to go back in.

If you need it often, assign the command to a keyboard shortcut.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Julie,

The Quick Access Toolbar allows 3 levels of customization
- Always the stored in Word.QAT
- There when based on a template or template active
- Only there in a given document.

To use the 2nd choice (as an approach to multiple clients) you can open the template and then use
Office Button=Word Options=Customize
and choose the template rather than 'all Word documents' as a place to store the customizations.

You can use Alt, T, I to attach a template to have those QAT items appear, and you can assign keyboard shortcuts to items on any of
the 3 QAT levels, including having macros you have there. Many of the prior Word version shortcuts still work as well.

You can also modify the Ribbon if you want but that's a bit more of a learning curve, or doing it through tools such as
http://ribboncustomizer.com or adding a floating taskpane to hold items such as http://toggletoolbar.com

==============
"singeredel" wrote in message ...
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately since you cannot create custom menus of
macros on the main ribbon, I had to use my old normal.dot template to get all
of my custom menus into Word 2007. These were then located in the "Add-Ins"
tab. I have a separate menu of macros for each client, so now I have an extra
level of keystrokes to first get to the add-ins menu and then activate the
menu on that tab and then select the macro shortcut.

I have to use the keyboard in my work. I cannot be stopping every few
seconds to pick up the mouse to do things. So this is a very cumbersome way
to access my macros. I do not find Word 2007 very friendly to those who
choose to use the keyboard shortcuts for everything.
--
singeredel (Julie)
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
singeredel singeredel is offline

Thank you Bob! I will have to do some research on how to do this, but perhaps
this is the answer.
--
singeredel

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
singeredel singeredel is offline

I opened the template in Word and then selected the Office Button=Word
Options=Customize. However, the only thing that shows on the "Customize
Quick Access Toolbar" dropdown list is "For All Documents". How do I select
just the template? I don't quite follow. Where does the Alt, T, I sequence
come in to play, i.e., what are the steps in sequence?

Thanks.

--
singeredel (Julie)

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I get the same result if I open a *.dot template (Compatibility Mode).
Perhaps it has to be a *.dotx or *.dotm template for this to work? It makes
sense that you couldn't save a QAT in a Word 97-2003 template.

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
singeredel singeredel is offline

Yes, that seems to be the case.
--
singeredel

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" wrote:

[...]

keyboard shortcuts bobobi Microsoft Word Help 4 August 1st 08 10:32 PM
Keyboard Shortcuts. Mark2006 New Users 1 May 15th 08 07:14 AM
Keyboard Shortcuts Silver Fox Microsoft Word Help 10 October 10th 07 08:09 PM
Keyboard Shortcuts Hango Microsoft Word Help 3 March 8th 06 03:15 PM
keyboard shortcuts Dave in MP Microsoft Word Help 1 December 15th 04 10:23 AM