Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John Z John Z is offline

Default Fed up with 2007. Can I exchage for 2003?

I've had it with Office 2007, but especially Word 2007. I was a strong user
with previous versions, but now everytime I try something quick it ends up
taking F_O_R_E_V_E_R! Using help all the time doesn't work. This time was
the last straw. I couldn't find how to set cell margins. I can't spend this
much time relearning Word. Two months of this is too much.

Can it be exchanged for an older version?
--

John Zweighaft
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tom [Pepper] Willett[_2_] Tom [Pepper] Willett[_2_] is offline

"John Z" wrote in message
news : I've had it with Office 2007, but especially Word 2007. I was a strong
user
: with previous versions, but now everytime I try something quick it ends up
: taking F_O_R_E_V_E_R! Using help all the time doesn't work. This time
was
: the last straw. I couldn't find how to set cell margins. I can't spend
this
: much time relearning Word. Two months of this is too much.
:
: Can it be exchanged for an older version?

Nope.

: --
:
: John Zweighaft

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi John,

While the time span varies by country (local laws, regulations et al) the basic Microsoft product refund policy for retail copies is
45 days.
http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/prod...nd/refund.mspx

If you're keeping Office 2007 there are 3rd party add-ins, such as those reviewed on http://word.mvps.org
that will give you a Word 2003 'look'/structure for many of the ribbon features and there are several tools that can help with
finding things that may be faster than trying to use F1/blue question mark Help.
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/tr...295841033.aspx
http://officelabs.com/projects/searc...s/default.aspx

Many of the older version keyboard shortcuts and right click menus still work in Word 2007. For example, with your cursor in a
table cell, right click and choosing 'Table Properties' brings up the same dialog in both Word 2003 and Word 2007 and the classic
keyboard shortcuts are the same in both versions
Alt, A, R to get to the table properties.

When your cursor is in the Table cell, Word 2007 shows the additional 'Table Tools' tabs for the ribbon. The Table Tools=Layout
tab includes a 'Cell Margins' button under 'Alignment'. How much of that is visible can depend on if you have Word open full screen
(or wide) or in a smaller Window.

The Ribbon can also be customized, but there are only now 'advanced user' type examples coming more readily available but I suspect
that will, over time, become something that is more 'regular user' available as well.

==============
"John Z" wrote in message news I've had it with Office 2007, but especially Word 2007. I was a strong user
with previous versions, but now everytime I try something quick it ends up
taking F_O_R_E_V_E_R! Using help all the time doesn't work. This time was
the last straw. I couldn't find how to set cell margins. I can't spend this
much time relearning Word. Two months of this is too much.

Can it be exchanged for an older version?

John Zweighaft
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John Z John Z is offline

Thank you Bob,

I did find table properties eventually on my own. I hadn't used the right
search terms. I double checked the purchase date of Office 2007 and it was
more than 45 days ago. I'll probably stick with trying to learn the new
organization a little longer. You should not have to do training for an
upgrade, but I will look at the training and search commands links. If they
don't help I will try your 3rd party suggestions.

The ribbon is another one of my gripes. Either Word 2007 lost custom tool
bars or I can't find how to do it. I typically created 3 custom tool bars;
drawing tools, field tools and review tools. They gave me one click
response, allowed flexible location, and allowed close and reopen if I needed
screen space. The ribbon isn't that flexible.

If I was in an IT group I wouldn't allow Office 2007 on our systems. It
would be too much of a drain on productivity.

--
John Zweighaft