Fabricator Fabricator is offline
Junior Member

Default How do I jettison styles and start over?

I am in a new job where I have inherited a huge amount of legacy documents in Word. They are used in long technical manuals, and range from 30-80 pages.

I find that in working with them, all kinds of manual changes have been made with respect to styles [bold, italics, returns, tabs, spaces]. You can have five visually different styles that are revealed to be the same style [manually changed] in the formatting palette. Numbering is corrupted in many of them.

Also, there is little uniformity among these documents. So whatever styles seem to be in one may not be present in others.

I would like to create a new document having the right styles, and then bring them into the new document, discarding the old styles at the same time.

How can I do that? I admit to being weak in my understanding of templates and how that could play a part in this.

Thank you....
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Select the document (Ctrl+A) then CTRL+Q and CTRL+Space to remove the manual
formatting.

This will not remove the tabs or extra spaces. Those will have to be removed
by hand using the Replace function as an aide.

If you have created a template with the styles you require, you can attach
the template to the document and if you check the update styles check box
the styles in the document of the same name will be updated to match your
template. After that it is a matter of applying the correct styles to the
text. Again you can use the Replace function to replace one style with
another across the document.

It is always going to be a pain to reformat using styles someone else's
document that has been formatted without. Having done so ensure no-one else
messes with it while you have responsibility for it

You may find http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/CleanWebText.htm helpful.

Fabricator wrote:
[...]

Thank you for your reply. You wrote: "If you have created a template with the styles you require, you can attach the template to the document and if you check the update styles check box the styles in the document of the same name will be updated to match your template."

Here is where my weakness in understanding templates emerges. What do you mean by "attach the template?" How is that done? ....and are the effects of a previous template remaining in place?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Mayor View Post

Fabricator wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you're using Word 2003 or earlier, go to Tools | Templates and Add-Ins,
click Attach..., and browse to your desired template. Often a better
approach in this type of situation, however, is to create a new document
based on your new template and insert the existing file into it (first
removing any section breaks it may contain so that it does not bring any of
its section-level formatting with it).

--
Fabricator