Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Annie Annie is offline

Default Can't read my Word documents

When I try to open my saved documents in Word 2003 I get a blank page, i.e.
toolbars are working but there's nothing in the main pane. I can open new
docs but it won't let me view my saved docs. I've tried repair and reinstlall
but still have the problem. Any thoughts?

Thanks
annie
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Several possibilities occur to me. One is that your computer has acquired a
virus that is erasing the contents of your documents. Another is that there
is a registry or normal.dot glitch that is causing your files to become
corrupted, or--more optimistically--not to be displaying correctly.

For starters, open Word in Safe mode. Start Word, holding down the Ctrl key,
and click Yes to the prompt about starting in Safe mode.

Do the documents now display okay?

If not... Create a new file and put just a little bit of text into it, save
it, and close it. Then, open that document using the Recover text from any
file (*.*) option. When you do that, do you see the text you just inscribed?

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"Annie" wrote in message
When I try to open my saved documents in Word 2003 I get a blank page,
i.e.
toolbars are working but there's nothing in the main pane. I can open new
docs but it won't let me view my saved docs. I've tried repair and
reinstlall
but still have the problem. Any thoughts?

Thanks
annie

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Annie Annie is offline

Thanks Herb. that was very helpful. I was able to open the docs in safe mode.
But they will only open in that mode. Is there a way to restore it to the
normal Word mode?
cheers,
Annie

"Annie" wrote in message
When I try to open my saved documents in Word 2003 I get a blank page,
i.e.
toolbars are working but there's nothing in the main pane. I can open new
docs but it won't let me view my saved docs. I've tried repair and
reinstlall
but still have the problem. Any thoughts?

Thanks
annie

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

See http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm then
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...artingWord.htm. with
particular reference to the normal template and add-ins.