Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Judy Judy is offline

Default Fixing toolbars to documents

I open Test.doc. From the toolbars menu I select MyToolBar and use the
macros on it. Now I save Test.doc. Now I open it, but there’s no trace
of MyToolBar. How do I make the toolbars I use stick with the
documents where I need to use them?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The toolbar needs to be created in the template from which you created
Test.doc

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Judy" wrote in message
I open Test.doc. From the toolbars menu I select MyToolBar and use the
macros on it. Now I save Test.doc. Now I open it, but there’s no trace
of MyToolBar. How do I make the toolbars I use stick with the
documents where I need to use them?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 09:50:14 -0700 (PDT), Judy
wrote:

I open Test.doc. From the toolbars menu I select MyToolBar and use the
macros on it. Now I save Test.doc. Now I open it, but there’s no trace
of MyToolBar. How do I make the toolbars I use stick with the
documents where I need to use them?

There is no "MyToolBar" in the default Word program, so I assume you created
one. Did you make a custom toolbar by clicking the New button in the Customize
dialog? If so, what was selected in the "Make toolbar available to" dropdown in
that dialog? In other words, what file was it saved in?

What I suspect happened is that you told the New command to save the custom
toolbar in Normal.dot (the default in that dropdown), but when you closed Word
and it asked whether to save changes in Normal.dot you answered No. That action
discarded the toolbar -- it was never saved.

If you're making the toolbar for use in specific documents, particularly if its
buttons run macros in the template for those documents, you should be careful to
(a) tell the New dialog to "Make the toolbar available in" that same template,
and (b) answer Yes when asked whether to save changes to that template -- that
prompt might occur when you close the last document based on that template, or
when you close Word completely.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Judy Judy is offline

Test.doc was created from Normal.dot and MyToolBar is in Normal.dot. A
new document created from Normal.dot does not show MyToolBar until
it’s checked in the Toolbars menu. Once it was checked in Test.doc and
Test.doc saved, I’m expecting the MyToolBar to display next time I
open Test.doc without me having to go into the toolbar menu and
rechecking it, but it doesn’t.

"Judy" wrote in message

I open Test.doc. From thetoolbarsmenu I select MyToolBar and use the
macros on it. Now I save Test.doc. Now I open it, but there’s no trace
of MyToolBar. How do I make thetoolbarsI use stick with thedocumentswhere I need to use them?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

This is template-dependent, I think, not document-dependent. If the last
Normal.dot-based document you have open when you quit Word has that toolbar
displayed, then I would expect Word to display the toolbar on restarting. Or
if you close a Normal-based document with the toolbar displayed and
immediately open another, I would expect to see the toolbar (maybe).

"Judy" wrote in message

I open Test.doc. From thetoolbarsmenu I select MyToolBar and use the
macros on it. Now I save Test.doc. Now I open it, but there’s no trace
of MyToolBar. How do I make thetoolbarsI use stick with thedocumentswhere
I need to use them?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Judy Judy is offline

"Judy" wrote in message

I open Test.doc. From thetoolbarsmenu I select MyToolBar and use the
macros on it. Now I save Test.doc. Now I open it, but there’s no trace
of MyToolBar. How do I make thetoolbarsI use stick with thedocumentswhere
I need to use them?- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for your insights, Suzanne. Neither possibility leads to a
stable and reliable working situation. I would have thought that just
as a Normal based document first has normal text, some of which is now
bolded, then the document is saved and reopened, the bolding is still
there, so it would be with the toolbars in use. Apparently it’s not so
and there seems to be no way of making it so. A strange and illogical
situation, if indeed true.