Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Nichim Nichim is offline

Default Insert hard return before character style

I am working in Word 2003 with a file output by a database. I want to insert
a hard return before each switch to a particular character style, so that
each sentence in this style starts a new paragraph. I would like to automate
this, as the file is quite long, but I have no idea how, since this seems to
go beyond the boundaries of simple Find & Replace. Something like "Find
(Character Style X) (Character Style Y), Replace with
(Character Style X)
(Character Style Y) would be grand, and then I could do the rest with
Paragraph Styles. Can you help me?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Using the replace function CTRL+H

With the cursor in the Find box click the More button and then Format
Style Stylename Enter nothing in the find box itself.

In the replace box enter
^&^p

Replace all.

Nichim wrote:
I am working in Word 2003 with a file output by a database. I want to
insert a hard return before each switch to a particular character
style, so that each sentence in this style starts a new paragraph. I
would like to automate this, as the file is quite long, but I have no
idea how, since this seems to go beyond the boundaries of simple Find
& Replace. Something like "Find (Character Style X) (Character Style
Y), Replace with (Character Style X)
(Character Style Y) would be grand, and then I could do the rest with
Paragraph Styles. Can you help me?

Insert Document without creating a hard return Xanbaby Formatting Long Documents 1 May 16th 08 12:55 PM
Hard return Nat Microsoft Word Help 1 February 9th 08 01:24 AM
Convert soft breaks (shift/return) into hard breaks (return). KathfromWI Microsoft Word Help 13 November 11th 06 02:20 PM
Search and replace hard-line-return character, not carriage return Tyler T Microsoft Word Help 2 August 16th 06 09:11 PM
VBA to apply a Soft Return (or Hard Return) at end of wrapped line Dennis Microsoft Word Help 7 May 14th 05 07:01 AM