Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Joe Duchtel Joe Duchtel is offline

Default Ignore Spelling/Grammar gets reset when updating table ...

Hello -

I have selected to "Ignore Once" or "Ignore All" some spelling and
grammar in one of my documents. This is all working and Word
remembers these when I re-open the document.

The problem is when I right-click on the Table of Content and select
"Update Field" then "Update entire table". Word seems to "forget" all
the instances when I told it to ignore spelling and grammar.

I am using Word 2003 (SP3).

Has anyone see this? Is this a setting I'm missing?

Thanks,
Joe
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Is Word forgetting *everywhere*, or just in the Table of Contents? Is this
all documents, or just one document?

I just created a test document, and I'm not seeing what you're seeing.

I thought it might be that your TOC formatting did not include the Do not
check spelling or grammar settings. But, even when I turn that off, I still
don't see what you're seeing.

What happens if you start Word in safe mode? Hold down Ctrl as Word is
starting, and click Yes to starting in safe mode. Does the problem occur
now?

If not, I would try:

1. Deleting or renaming the Data key in the registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\W ord

2. Renaming or deleting Normal.dot (note: you will need to display hidden
folders/files to be able to find normal.dot).

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"Joe Duchtel" wrote in message
Hello -

I have selected to "Ignore Once" or "Ignore All" some spelling and
grammar in one of my documents. This is all working and Word
remembers these when I re-open the document.

The problem is when I right-click on the Table of Content and select
"Update Field" then "Update entire table". Word seems to "forget" all
the instances when I told it to ignore spelling and grammar.

I am using Word 2003 (SP3).

Has anyone see this? Is this a setting I'm missing?

Thanks,
Joe

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On Sep 29, 7:41*am, "Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:
[...]

Joe- Hide quoted text -

Hello -

This seems to be happening in one particular document only. Word
forgets the Ignore Once/All in the entire document.

How do I change or check the TOC setting you menioned?

I just opened the document in safe-mode and it seems to remember the
Ignore Once/All. What does that mean? Do I always have to open that
document in safe-mode or is there something I need to do to make this
work in a normal mode?

Thanks!
Joe
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I don't think it's a TOC language setting issue, given that I could not
generate the problem here by creating the problem I thought might cause what
you're seeing.

My next step--if I were you--would be to try renaming normal.dot (on the
assumption that it's a recent corruption issue), to see if that resolves the
problem. Since you're not having the problem with other (presumably
older)documents, my working theory is that it's not a Data key issue --
since that would affect other documents as well. If it's a normal.dot issue,
however, then it would affect more recent documents, but I'm assuming that
the problem document *is* the most recent document of this type that you
have, and that the problem simply hasn't had time to occur in newer
documents yet.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On Sep 29, 6:03*pm, "Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:
[...]

It is really strange as this does not seem to be happening for new
documents based on the same normal.dot. I did a little "experiment"
with the existing document where I copied section by section to a new
document. The problem started when I copied the 50th Header 1 to the
new document (BTW ... the document only has the Header 1 level). So I
created another empty document with just Header 1 followed by a Normal
paragraph and the TOC. In that document, the problem does not seem to
exist.

So I don't know where that leaves me. It seems like something in that
document is corrupted but not even copying it section by section to a
new document seems to help.

Thanks,
Joe

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Well... the good news is that it seems to be a limited document corruption
problem. One can hope that it was the freak combination of a specific set of
bits and bytes and that it will not recur.

I would try "laundering" the document by saving it in rtf format, closing
it, opening the rtf file, saving that in Word format, closing it, then
re-opening it, and see if the problem still happens. Note that closing
between the steps is crucial to actually forcing the laundering process to
work... assuming it does work.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On Sep 30, 3:00*pm, "Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:
[...]

Wow ... that did the job! The document is even a little smaller now!
I just with Microsoft could do that laundry from within the
application but oh well ...

Thanks a lot!
Joe