Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Default Formatting Hyperlinks

Boy, that's a mess. It probably would have been easier to trash the existing
TOCs and use the built-in TOC generation method.

If you're too far in to change now, then there is a way to do what you need.
Instead of reformatting every hyperlink manually, though, change the
definitions of both the Hyperlink style and the Followed Hyperlink style so
they include just "Default Paragraph Font" with no color or underline
specified. (The links display with Hyperlink style before you click them,
and with Followed Hyperlink style afterward.)

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

dslocum wrote:
I need to take multiple existing Word documents and merge them into a
single document and Save As a PDF. Each document is basically its own
chapter for this User's Manual and each document/chapter comes with
its own Table of Contents and there is a "Main" TOC for the entire
document.
Unfortunately, the original author(s) did not use Word's TOC tool to
create the TOC and created it by hand. Additionally, the various
chapters are not all named correctly (i.e. Chapter B1 is named "Form
Processing" in the TOC but is called "Batch Requesting Claims" in the
document. This makes it impossible to run the TOC routine. My
solution is to simply insert Bookmarks in the appropriate locations
for each Chapter and place hyperlinks in the TOCs to get the reader
where they need to go.
My question is, I don't want the PDF's TOC to look like a bunch of
hyperlinks but rather like a normal TOC. I have Reformatted the font
in the TOCs from blue to black font and removed the underline; once I
select the hyperlink, though, the font turns Purple. Is there a way
to avoid having a selected hyperlink from changing colors or at least
selecting the color I would like the font to change to?

denny

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
dslocum[_12_] dslocum[_12_] is offline

Jay,
I am not in at all, I am testing and researching how to pull all of
these documents together, but doing it "the right way" is not an option
that I can utilize. The wording used are used for a specific reason.

So, I will follow your advice and edit the definitions. But I don't
know how. I am using Word 2007 and I cannot find anything on
hyperlinks in the Styles group of my Home Ribbon. I would think that
you are having me "modify" the hyperlink style. Is this true?

d.

--
dslocum
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 22:20:25 +0100, dslocum
wrote:

Jay,
I am not in at all, I am testing and researching how to pull all of
these documents together, but doing it "the right way" is not an option
that I can utilize. The wording used are used for a specific reason.

So, I will follow your advice and edit the definitions. But I don't
know how. I am using Word 2007 and I cannot find anything on
hyperlinks in the Styles group of my Home Ribbon. I would think that
you are having me "modify" the hyperlink style. Is this true?

d.

Yes, that's correct. Here's how:

- Click the little arrow in the bottom right corner of the Styles group, or use
the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S, to open the Styles task pane.

- If you don't see the Hyperlink and FollowedHyperlink styles in the task pane
list, click the Options link in the bottom right corner. In the Style Pane
Options dialog, set the first dropdown to "All styles" and set the second one to
"Alphabetical".

- Right-click the Hyperlink style in the list and click Modify. Click the U
button to turn off underlining, and set the color dropdown to Automatic. If
you'd like to see the style in the Quick Style group on the ribbon, check the
"Add to Quick Style list" box; leave the "Only in this document" option selected
(the other one adds the change to the template, which you probably shouldn't
do). Click OK.

- Repeat the preceding step for the FollowedHyperlink style.

- Save the document. It should now show hyperlinks the same as regular text,
both before and after clicking them.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman