Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ed from AZ Ed from AZ is offline

Default Style in document comes out different for another user?

We have a report document that was in Word 2002, then 2003, and now
2007. We have Styles in the document for the information we put in.
Every time the report needs to be updated, we open the previous
reportand use Find/Replace to change the Info_New style into
Info_Old. New information gets formatted with the Info_New style.
The doc is then SavedAs a new document with a new date.

On my computer (where the styles were created and attached to the
document), the Info_new style is flush to the left margin. On the
other user's computer, the paragraphs take on an automatic indent,
even though the text is formatted as Info_New.

Is there an attribute I need to add to the style to keep this auto
indent out? The other user may have "Tabs and backspace set left
indent checked", but we don't want that for this report. Can a style
override that setting?

Ed
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi Ed,

We have a report document that was in Word 2002, then 2003, and now
2007. We have Styles in the document for the information we put in.
Every time the report needs to be updated, we open the previous
reportand use Find/Replace to change the Info_New style into
Info_Old. New information gets formatted with the Info_New style.
The doc is then SavedAs a new document with a new date.

On my computer (where the styles were created and attached to the
document), the Info_new style is flush to the left margin. On the
other user's computer, the paragraphs take on an automatic indent,
even though the text is formatted as Info_New.

Is there an attribute I need to add to the style to keep this auto
indent out? The other user may have "Tabs and backspace set left
indent checked", but we don't want that for this report. Can a style
override that setting?

I guess the first thing I'd check is:

1. Is "Automatically update styles" activated in the Templates dialog
box? (You can display that from the Developer tab.)

2. If it is, to what template is the document attached? Normal?

3. If yes, then it's likely that
- the user's Normal.dot has a style that's indented
- this style has the same name as the style your Info styles base
on (Normal style is a possibility)
- so the style is updating the base style defintion from that other
template and the indent is cascading through to the Info style

If this is the case, then I'd either deactivate this checkbox or make
sure the document is attached to a template with the correct style
definitions and that this template is available to the user.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org